Post Your House Pale Ale/APA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdown

Reaction score
Apologies if this thread has already been started in another forum/location.

Let's share our favorite Pale Ale/APA recipes that keep filling kegs and glasses around the brew lab.

GlassPaleAle.jpg

Mine is pretty simple.

2 row
Caramel 60
Carapils

All Cascade hop additions

I mix it up between Ringwood, Chico, and Nottingham yeasts depending on how I feel.

This is my favorite APA recipe. It's a good crowd-pleaser too. I've had friends who claim to not like hoppy beer end up liking this one because it's more aroma/flavor forward rather than bitter.

For 5.5 Gallons

Water: (I start with RO from a machine)
1 g CaSO4/gal
0.375 g CaCl2/gal

8# Weyermann Pale
1.25# Weyermann Munich
6 oz Crystal 40L
3 oz Acid malt

Mash at 150F for 60 min
I fly sparge for 60 min @ 175F, but batch sparging would work too.

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Simcoe 30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Mosaic 0 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min

Yeast: S05
Ferment @ 65F for 2 weeks
Dry hop 2 oz Mosaic for 5 days, & keg!

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.010

Mine is also simple:

5.5 gallons

10 lb 2 row
1 lb Munich 10
0.5 lb Caramel 40
0.25 lb Flaked Wheat

0.5 oz Magnum at 60
0.25 oz each Citra and Amarillo at 20
0.25 oz each Citra and Amarillo at 10
0.5 oz each Citra and Amarillo at 0
1 oz each Citra and Amarillo dry hop

US-05

Comes out at around 5.7% and 44 IBUs.

Next time I brew it I may up the Amarillo and reduce the Citra a bit....the Citra tends to dominate in equal amounts (say a 2:1 ratio of Amarillo to Citra instead of 1:1).

How would you describe the flavor of the Citra/Amarillo combination?

How would you describe the flavor of the Citra/Amarillo combination?

If you've had Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, my pale ale ended up with a similar flavor, just toned down a bit (Fresh Squeezed Lite?). Fresh Squeezed is Citra and Mosaic, but I get more of the Citra (grapefruit, passion fruit) out of it. Same thing with my pale. Which is why I mentioned I'll probably up the amount of Amarillo I used next time so the Citra isn't so dominant. Don't get me wrong, I love Citra, but I'm curious to see if I can get more of the orange flavor I usually pick up from Amarillo.

I am doing a series of single hop APAs based on Russian River's Hop2It recipe. The goal is to really learn the flavor and aroma of individual hop varieties against a simple but not single malt constant background (balance between bitterness and malt is intended to be same with every hop trialed).

I have pretty soft water and use 12 grams CaSO4 and 3 grams CaCl2 in the mash water (11 gal batch). Appears to need small lactic acid addition to get pH t0 5.4 (about 1/2 tsp in the mash water).

US 2-row 78%
UK Marris Otter 14%
US Caramel 20 8%
Mash 154 for 60 min

60 min boil
Hop shot at 60 min calculated to have overall IBU 40-45 IBU*
11 gallon batch gets
2oz hops at 15 min
3oz hops at flameout (30 min whirlpool at 180F)
2oz hops dry hop

*I use the Rager formula in Beer Alchemy and calculate IBUs contributed from the 15 min and flame out additions. Then figure out how many mL hop shot will be needed at 60 min to have final beer IBU about 43 IBU. It works out to 5-6 mL in 11 gallon batch to contribute about half the IBUs with hops I've used so far.

Chico yeast (US-05, WLP001, Wy1056, usually a repitch from a previous batch)
OG 1.054
FG 1.009

Ferment at 68F.
Dry hop about day 8. Cold crash about day 12. Keg by day 14 and ready to drink about as soon as you can get it carbed.

Is the syrup utilized to boost ABV (like candi sugar) or for some other reason as well?

From what I understand its really "invert sugar" which isnt supposed to be all too hard to make on your own. It has a higher fermentability than honey or candi syrups, but also has a really nice taste to it. Its like the fermentability of pure sugar with the taste of honey. I like it cause it dries out the beer and leaves a hint of flavor if you do it right

From what I understand its really "invert sugar" which isnt supposed to be all too hard to make on your own. It has a higher fermentability than honey or candi syrups, but also has a really nice taste to it. Its like the fermentability of pure sugar with the taste of honey. I like it cause it dries out the beer and leaves a hint of flavor if you do it right

Thanks m00ps!

I made a Lyle's style invert last winter that I still have sitting in the cupboard. Its kinda fun and can be made in less than an hour. You just need a little acid (lemon juice or lactic acid if you use it) to complete the 'inversion'.

6 lb White Wheat
5 lb 2-row
1 lb Caramel/crystal 40L

OG = 1.062
FG = 1.010
ABV = ~6.7%
Est IBU = 50ish

.5 oz Columbus @ 60 mins - 15% AA = 26 ibu
1 oz Centennial @ 30 mins - 9% AA = 24 ibu
.5 oz Columbus flame-out
1 oz Centennial flame-out addition
1 oz Cascade flame-out
1 packet rehydrated Nottingham pitch/ferment @ 62°
1 oz Citra dry hop
1 oz Mosaic dry hop
1 oz Simcoe dry hop

attachment.php

I have a basic Malt bill I use and then mess with the hops every time. Sometimes I hop burst, sometimes I'll do the more standard 15, 10, 5 minute additions. Sometimes fwh...you get the Idea. Then I'll adjust the Magnum addition to get the ibus where I want them, usually right at 40 ibus.

90% us pale malt
10% crystal 40

Bittering hop - Magnum
Flavor aroma hops - typically centennial augmented by something else. Right now my mix is zythos and centennial. I really like a three hop combo of centennial, Amarillo and chinook.

1.050 OG
1.010 FG
5.2% ABV
55 IBU (Tinseth)

Grain
96% 2-Row
4% Crystal 60L

Hops
Bitter with Warrior to about 25-30 IBU. Grab the rest of the IBUs at 15 and flameout/hopstand with whatever hop(s) sound good at the time. I tend to go with no more than 2 or 3 varieties.

Yeast
US-05

Water
Ca-71, Mg-2, Na-6, SO4-90, Cl-58
Lactic acid to keep the mash pH at 5.4

This always works out pretty damn well for me. Cheers and enjoy the brew.

Mine is pretty simple.

2 row
Caramel 60
Carapils

All Cascade hop additions

I mix it up between Ringwood, Chico, and Nottingham yeasts depending on how I feel.

Same grain bill here. All late hop additions also. I like Summit followed by Cascade. If fact I like it so much I will be brewing it again it two weeks. I ferment with a mix of Thames Valley and WLP011.

Back