Possible to get off flavors from bottle carbonization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zteelblade

Reaction score
I was just wondering if bottle carbonization could give off flavors if held above yeast recommended range and how much effect in terms of off flavors it could have.
Talking mostly reasonable room temperatures (20c/68f to 25c/77f),
I have always pretty much bottle carbonized all my beers in room temperatures sometimes a way higher than fermentation temperature.
Mostly (for ales) it is still inside yeast recommended range. But for some beers like lagers it is well above.

First let me a bit picky. Carbonization is the act of turning something into carbon. So I hope you aren’t doing that to your beers.
There should be no flavor contribution from the yeast if you bottled after fermentation was completed. No matter the temperature. My opinion.

Those temperature ranges of 20-25C are not terribly unusual for bottle-conditioning (carbonating) beer, and generally not a problem if it's several degrees higher than primary fermentation. For example, I might ferment an ale at 17C, then bottle-condition at 22C without any bad effects.

Could you describe the off flavors you are getting? Maybe it's not the bottle carbonation process causing it.

Most of the off flavors that come from too warm fermentation happen within the first couple days, when the yeast have lots of sugars to eat and go a bit crazy with that at higher temperatures. By the time you bottle, the only sugars left that that strain of yeast can eat is the little bit you give them for carbonation.

It would certainly help to know what flavor you are identifying in the beer. I would assume that it tasted fine going into the bottles, but was not so great coming out of them? If that is the case, there are a few issues that can creep up post-packaging that can happen depending of the circumstances. If you give us some more details in your process I'm sure somebody will be able to help out! Cheers!

Firstly sorry for mixing up terms. But yeah meaning carbonating beer in bottles :)
The taste before bottling was quiet clear and smooth, apricot and dry hops could be tasted pretty well.

Now after bottling there is unpleasant mix of like strong alcohol and very yeasty (very bad tasting yeasty) kind of taste that hits quiet fast and hides other tastes.
I have tested here and there during 2 week from many different bottles, some been even 2-3 days in cold. So cant say yet if long cold time will improve it.

EDIT: and if that helps, there seems to be no growing levels of carbon dioxide or signs of overcarbonation ... at least not yet.

And the process of packaging was:
(cold crash 2 days)
then boiling priming sugar mixed with water for 5 minutes.
Sanitized all equipment, bucket, siphon, bottles, bottle caps etc.
Nothing new besides sugar added.
Then holding in 25C/77F for 7 days or so before I tasted 1st one.

There was also dry hop added + apricot puree added (pasteurized) 5 days before packaging. I guess something could have got in there and maybe not yet showing at packaging.

Last edited:
Realize that after adding the priming sugar you are just starting off another cycle of fermentation where the priming sugar will get used up. Since you sealed off the mini-fermenters, the CO2 will stay in the beer to carbonate it.

During the time the fermentation is going on, tastes and smells might change. Hopefully after the fermentation is complete it'll return to the same great taste you had prior or get better.

But at a couple days in, all bets are off for whether it will taste good or not.

It has already been in bottles for over 2 weeks now (and in room temperature). I think bottle fermentation was pretty much done already before 1st week (or whenever I popped 1st one). I also put several bottles into fridge and held day or few, but at least such a short time did not remove the foul taste.
So 1 week or few days in the cold haven't improved the taste. (Or removed the foul taste that wasn't detectable at packaging)

Last edited:
Yeah, I misread your prior post and thought you'd just bottled.

Carbonation is otherwise normal and consistent in what you've opened? Might be your various things about the recipe and mashing that just tend to lend to a harsh alcohol taste. And might yeastiness be malty-ness?

I think that with age it might mellow out. If you have an infection, then I'd think that you'd be getting some gushers. And the SG of your beer in that bottle will be much lower than your FG when you took it out of the fermenter.

You might get an SG reading and compare to what your FG and expected FG was supposed to be.

While some one else will have to say that better understands the science, I'd think after your priming sugar is used up, that you'll be left at pretty much the same FG within a few points, it had prior to priming it. Though that might depend on how much water you used to dissolve the sugar in.

edit because I didn't finish the thought.....
But if infected, that bottle might have a much lower SG than your FG.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back