pitching onto secondary yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorJerseyHomebro

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a difference between using a yeast cake from secondary vs. primary i.e. will the yeast be less viable in the secondary yeast cake because they have been working longer? Or once there is fresh food it don't really make a difference?

I ask because after I racked this batch to secondary I washed the yeast in the primary and got a few containers of the stuff. but then it occured to me, I could just throw fresh wort on the secondary yeast and keep those vials for next time. Am I assuming right? Or is there a possible drawback to using this slightly older yeast?

I doubt there is a significant difference between the generations of yeast. Some things to keep in mind:

Was the yeast used to ferment a high gravity beer? If so, it could be a bit tired.
How many times have you repitched this yeast? I've gone 25 generations without a loss of performance, but some brewers would argue you need to start fresh a little more often.
How long was the prior beer in that secondary, and at what temperature? Are you certain the yeast is still viable?

I suspect you are fine, but I would watch the start of your fermentation carefully. If you aren't getting any noticeable signs of fermentation (as shown by changes in your specific gravity), you may want to consider throwing some fresh yeast in there. But before you do, be certain the beer is not actively fermenting already.

thats what i thought. the yeast was fermenting a low gravity pale ale, this is the first generation. it was in primary for 3 weeks. it will be in the secondary 2-3 more weeks. between 55-65degrees. usually around 58. I think the yeast is good because the beer is already at the target gravity, im just waitin on having enough bottles for it. Thanks for your answer. !

The primary problem is the yeast from the secondary is less flocculate than that in the primary.

As david_42 said, flocculation is your big problem using a secondary yeast cake. What you've done is racked off all of the highly (& even moderately) flocculating yeast. What was left in your beer when you racked it was the yeast that is very slow to fall out of suspension, and this is what is being used to ferment your next batch. This can certainly cause very hazy beer when you suddenly use yeast that is all slow to flocculate. It'll certainly mean that it is going to take a lot longer for your beer to clear than if you used a yeast cake from primary. You'll probably also get a bit more attenuated beer because of the yeast staying in suspension longer.

I'm gunna use the yeast for a darker beer so I'm not terribly worried about haze... however, would pitching in some of the washed yeast from the primary help solve any possible flocculation problems?

Back