Pitching dry yeast warm intentionally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgmac

It's Brew Day!
Reaction score
I know that we are supposed to pitch yeast at are a little below fermentation temps. But had a thought, why cant a dry yeast like Nottingham be pitched dry at higher wort temps like 80-85. Directions say to hydrate in water that is in the low 90s.

Wouldn't direct pitching in wort that is the 80-85 wake the yeast up quicker? Then put the fermenter in the fermenting chamber and cool it down to fermentation temps in 2-3 hours, well before fermentation takes off which is usually like 18-24 hours later or so. Maybe a little earlier if pitched at warmer temps hypothetically.

Looking to see if anyone has purposely or even accidentally tried this and what the results where.

I know, I know, we kill off cells by not hydrating but I over pitch when I direct pitch dry. Usually make 10 gallons of like 1.054-1.056 wort split into 2-5 gallon fermenters . Then give each batch 1 and 1/2 packets of dry yeast.

I know that we are supposed to pitch yeast at are a little below fermentation temps. But had a thought, why cant a dry yeast like Nottingham be pitched dry at higher wort temps like 80-85. Directions say to hydrate in water that is in the low 90s.

Wouldn't direct pitching in wort that is the 80-85 wake the yeast up quicker? Then put the fermenter in the fermenting chamber and cool it down to fermentation temps in 2-3 hours, well before fermentation takes off which is usually like 18-24 hours later or so. Maybe a little earlier if pitched at warmer temps hypothetically.

Looking to see if anyone has purposely or even accidentally tried this and what the results where.

I know, I know, we kill off cells by not hydrating but I over pitch when I direct pitch dry. Usually make 10 gallons of like 1.054-1.056 wort split into 2-5 gallon fermenters . Then give each batch 1 and 1/2 packets of dry yeast.
I have done this and fermentation takes off in few hours. Just make sure you lower the temperature to the correct temp. of your yeast you are using. And I've had no off flavors doing this.

Brulosophy did a test where they pitched in the mid 70s and the beer was indistinguishable.

Tried this with BRY-97 during summer months, it took a few hours for the fridge to bring the temperature down. Got noticeable fusels, YMMV.
I wonder why do you care if the yeast wake up quicker or not?
I know, I know, we kill off cells by not hydrating but I over pitch when I direct pitch dry.
It's a myth rooted in methylene blue staining being used to assess viability, although taste-wise there's a difference between pitching dry vs. rehydrated in yeast-driven styles.

Sounds like I need to have the fermentation chamber pre chilled and ready to go if I try this. Mostly looking for ideas during the summer months when me ground water is in the mid to high 70s. I have a new CF Chiller that works well now and brings the wort down to 68 on a single pass but will probably be closer to 80 during the summer months. Trying to avoid making a big tub off ice water and upgrading my pond pump.

I agree about the myth of pitching dry yeast. I actually like the taste of Nottingham pitched dry over hydrated.

I would think the positive about waking the yeast up earlier would be a reduced chance of other biologists taking hold before the yeast out competes.

I will give this a try in the mid 70s like the Brulosophy exbeeriment and see if I get similar results. Then increase a few degrees on batches after that until I get in the low to mid 80s.

I'd hate to state the obvious, but it sounds like your process is better than most of our process for seeing how the results to out. If you brew 10 gallons and split into two fermenters, why not pitch one of them at ~80 degrees (or whatever it is when the CF Chiller is done), then pitch the other at your normal pitching temperature. Drink them side by side. The only variable will be pitching temperature, so you'll have the answer right there.

I'd hate to state the obvious, but it sounds like your process is better than most of our process for seeing how the results to out. If you brew 10 gallons and split into two fermenters, why not pitch one of them at ~80 degrees (or whatever it is when the CF Chiller is done), then pitch the other at your normal pitching temperature. Drink them side by side. The only variable will be pitching temperature, so you'll have the answer right there.
That's a great idea. Will start one in the mid 60sF and the other around 80F and do a side by side. Will have to wait about a month or so since my fermenters where filled 2 days ago.

Nottingham has got quite a high temp tolerance. I've pitched it at 25C/77F during the summer and it was fine

Brulosophy did a test where they pitched in the mid 70s and the beer was indistinguishable.

I did something similar with a recent Oktoberfest. I brewed 10 gallons and split it in three. 5 gallons got US-05 for an "ale-toberfest". The other 5 was with 34/70, but split. 2.5 gallons fermented at room temp (66F) and the other I pressure fermented in a keg.

Of those three batches, I liked the room temp lager yeast best, then the ale-toberfest version. The pressure fermented version seemed to came out overcarbed quite a bit. I don't know how, as I had some trouble with my spunding valve.

This was also my first time doing a pressurized fermentation, so I may try to re-do the experiment after a get a couple of pressure fermented batches under my belt.

I used to do this out of laziness, ignorance and pride...I would get lucky half the time and the beer was ok. The other half the time the fusels and esters rendered it undrinkable. Would advise against.

Latest posts

Back