Pin Lock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymonkey

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to trade a pin lock keg for a CO2 tank and am getting it all cleaned up for the other party. I was going to convert it, but hadn't gotten around to it and find more value in a second CO2 tank than another vessel for my needs. It looks to be in excellent condition, but I don't have the wrench to take off the posts the way they are meant to be removed.

Anyway, my question is that when I reach into the keg, I don't feel the gas dip-tube, but the keg was pressurized so I know it holds pressure. On a pin-lock, should I feel that protruding as you would on a Ball-lock? Knowing that it's held pressure for years, is the gas dip-tube even necessary? Seal aside it would seem fairly moot.

If so, I'll give the guy one from one of my ball locks and order myself a new one. Thanks for any help on this!

Yes, you would normally feel the gas dip tube. From my perspective, the dip tube doesn't need to be any significant length (short is actually good) but I does need to be there because it's where the O-ring sits to help ensure no leaks. Use a small mirror or a small camera inside to get a clear view of what's there.

Yes, you would normally feel the gas dip tube. From my perspective, the dip tube doesn't need to be any significant length (short is actually good) but I does need to be there because it's where the O-ring sits to help ensure no leaks. Use a small mirror or a small camera inside to get a clear view of what's there.

Thanks, and good idea on the camera!

Back