Pilsner with lemon drop hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
I’ve brewed Pilsner numerous times but have never used Lemon drop hops in anything. I heard someone talking about a lemon drop Pilsner. Anyone make this? Is it a good idea? Any tips? Thanks everyone.

Founders makes a retro American style lager called Solid Gold that uses lemondrop hops for bittering and aroma.
Very good beer but it isn't really a Pilsner as it has an IBU level of around 20IBU. German and Czech-style Pils typically have a higher bitterness-to-gravity level.
If you like lemondrop hops why not use it? It's used in Founders Solid Gold and Victory Brewing's Golden Monkey and is a solid hop for bittering with a bit of citrus aroma left over.
https://www.hopsteiner.com/variety-data-sheets/Lemondrop/

Since I’ve never had it would I just take a German Pils and substitute in these hops instead of the classic German hops? I know it won’t be true to style and that is fine. Just don’t want an unbalanced brew.

Yes, it would simply be a direct substitution with one exception.
You'll need to adjust your hopping amounts to account for the alpha acid levels (AAU) of the hop variety. More than likely Lemondrop will contribute more bittering to your wort because it has a higher AAU level than a Saaz or Hallertauer hop.
German or Czech Pils is typically more bitter than the American style so to keep the bitterness-to-gravity level balanced you'll simply adjust the amount of hops you want to get the required IBU level.

I have never used them in a pilsner but lemon drop are my go-to hop in cream ale. It gives a really light, citrusy character approaching what you might get in a shandy but a little more subtle.

Other hops you might choose would be Amarillo, Citra, and Mandarina Bavaria. Those have a higher alpha acid content and give off citrus aromas. I get grapefruit from Citra and mild tangerine notes from the Mandarina hop. These hops are generally a bit more potent than Lemondrop on the bitterness scale.
The Lemondrop bittering in Founders Solid Gold is around 20IBU which is about 1.5x what you'll find in a typical light American lager with the same alcohol and gravity level. It's well-balanced and a good example of how the hop works in a lighter beer.

Latest posts

Back