PicoBrew PicoPak Brewing - General Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tateconcepts

Reaction score
I was reading across this forum and found that several members continued to reference a Facebook group page for discussion on the PicoBrew system. The purpose of this thread and discussion is not of the PicoBrew itself (nor any marketing/PR), but of the PicoPaks available by microbreweries and your experiences/settings in brewing them.

I personally have had limited success with the two I initially ran through the Pro and C units listed below, albeit I am very aware this can produce much better results. If anyone has any brews they completed, along with fermentation, carbonation and serving times please feel free to share. If available, please feel free to share specifics as well (ABV, ABU, SRM, OG, FG, etc).

So far I have ran two PicoPaks of Upslope Brown Ale, both in the Pico C and the Pico Pro. I will be doing a few FreeStyle and perhaps discuss those here as well. For summary, neither brew turned out great. It was likely due to too much yeast that they call for along with several factors regarding temp changes (there is now a KegSmarts heater for the Pro, but it requires the KegSmart system).

PicoPak - Upslope Brown Ale
Model used Pico C
ABV 6.7 ABU 45 (no SRM/OG/FG taken)

This was brewed using totally default settings, as is with the Pico C. I didn't expect much from this and appeared the directions are totally written in the concept, "hope for the best, plan for the worst". Usual brewing time, with 24h cooled to room temp, then fast fermentation for 7d using the entire packet of Safale S04 (seems excessive, nevertheless I followed the directions). Fermentation was done at approximately 72-74F within water bucket (this was a thought I had on using the same outer solution for rapid cooling and more controlled fermentation. I then cold crashed for 36h and then attempted to force carbonate the solution with a corny keg from the Pro. The regulator ended up being faulty and the beer ended up slightly flat as expected. Frankly, this brew seemed too full of yeast and more like ale/wine.

PicoPak - Upslope Brown Ale
Model used Pico Pro
ABV 6.5 ABU 45 (no SRM/OG/FG taken)

This time I attempted slow fermentation and natural carbonation. Standard brew time of a little over 2h with 24h cooling that went too low (temp swings in DFW resulted in essentially a cold crash overnight). I then performed 9d fermentation using the same amount of yeast (maybe a third of the packet is actually needed, thoughts?) and cold crashed for 24h into 32F or below. Natural carbonation was 7d with forced carb for 2d (since one requires that anyway to dispense from this type of keg). Well, it's certainly more carbonated as I finally received a replacement regulator. However, the ABV cannot be 6.5 and tastes weak (maybe 3.5 as a light lager) with slight cloudiness but the same taste of yeast. Perhaps this was a result of temp swings in natural carbonation (where I air cooled this one, but the room had a 3d printer which needed 74-76F while printing for several hours otherwise the room was at 69-70F).

I've got several more PicoPak's to share as I brew them and continue to test their various equipment. The next results will be more accurate using more precise temp and time as possible. Up next, Rogue Dead Man's Ale and Pt. Bonita Lager. Let's hear your brews, freestyle or not. Cheers!

Back