Pearl vs Golden Promise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl or Golden Promise for overall base malt?

• Total voters

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
Looking at really trying to nail the NE IPA style as well as do some good high gravity dessert stouts. Grain is much cheaper by the bag obviously, so what would work better in that situation? There's about $10 difference between both bags, Pearl being cheaper.

Neither. Rahr 2 Row is the ideal base malt for a hazier ipa. You’re looking for a higher protein content. American 2 Row varieties will have the highest protein content generally. Most English malts have comparatively low protein content as well as diastatic power. If you want to incorporate some Golden Promise you could. But if you’re lookin to make intentionally hazy IPAs I wouldn’t use either.

Golden Promise is sweet
Pearl is more bread
MO is more biscuit

Neither. Rahr 2 Row is the ideal base malt for a hazier ipa. You’re looking for a higher protein content. American 2 Row varieties will have the highest protein content generally. Most English malts have comparatively low protein content as well as diastatic power. If you want to incorporate some Golden Promise you could. But if you’re lookin to make intentionally hazy IPAs I wouldn’t use either.

Golden Promise is sweet
Pearl is more bread
MO is more biscuit

Technically then by your assessment, 6 row would be the best way to go, as it has more diastatic power than 2 row I believe.

I did end up going with Golden Promise as I hit the store before I saw this response, but I have no problem stocking up on malts. :)

I'm not an expert on malt but aren't there lots of clear american beers made with 2 row? Most of the west coast IPAs are made with 2-row and they are crystal clear. I don't see how suddenly putting them into a hazy IPA magically transfers them but would like to know if it does.

I'm not an expert on malt but aren't there lots of clear american beers made with 2 row? Most of the west coast IPAs are made with 2-row and they are crystal clear. I don't see how suddenly putting them into a hazy IPA magically transfers them but would like to know if it does.

They all also filter and fine their beers and mostly use Chico. That’s why it’s clear and not cause of the base malt.

Technically then by your assessment, 6 row would be the best way to go, as it has more diastatic power than 2 row I believe.

I did end up going with Golden Promise as I hit the store before I saw this response, but I have no problem stocking up on malts. :)

The Diastatic power had little to do with this conversation, just threw it in there. 6 row is high in protein it also kinda tastes like sh*t.

Golden Promise is an awesome malt. I would just mix it with a decent amount of 2row.

It really depends on what you want out of the malt, in terms of flavor. A characterful base malt can add a nice quality to a NEIPA, so I'd personally stay away from basic American 2-row. I'd keep brewing and discover your own preferences, all of them are capable of producing a great beer in the right conditions.

Tree House, Monkish, and Hill Farmstead all use Rahr 2 Row for their base malt... they’re the references for the style IMHO

They also don’t usually use wheat or oats in their hoppy beers. If they do use it on an occasional beer it’s not for haze purposes.

I’ve done NEIPAs with Pearl and with Golden Promise, and they’re both pretty great. I don’t use any crystal, but I do typically add flaked barley or oats. Last time I used rye and goosed it with a pint of homemade invert sugar syrup late in primary (partly to scavenge some O2 when I pulled out the hop sack, partly just because).

I like gp in my neipa, but as I've never had a true reference neipa I wouldn't know what I'm supposed to be ending up with.
I love it.. *launches into an extraordinary rendition of Flour of Scotland*
Fun fact: gp is the product of intentionally irradiating plants to create mutant new strains, like that documentary the X men... Also like pink grapefruit.
Fun fact ends.

Latest posts

Back