Peach IPA, where did the hops go???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Homebrew club has a competition every year called Iron Mash. You are given a box of ingredients and you can use as many or as little ingredients to make a declared style. Wanting to make something interesting, I decided to make a Peach IPA.
Brewed on 11/5/2011 OG 1.075, tasted very hoppy
FG 1.020, oh well
Kegged on 12/1/2011 cask conditioned
Added 1.75 oz. peach extract from AHB at this time

Tasted the beer yesterday, it is definitely not an IPA, more of a mellow peach pale ale. Not sure where my hops went, has any one experienced anything similar to this? Was it the extract? Keg conditioning?
I am going to dry hop it today, hoping to get some hop character.
Cheers,

My guess is the peach extract is masking everything else. I made a chocolate raspberry stout and used raspberry extract from AHS to flavor it. For about 10 weeks the only thing you could taste was the extract... nothing else.

bummer, the competition is on 1/8/12. I think I am going to boil some hops for an hour and add the liquid to the keg as well as dry hop

did you use the whole bottle?
How did the beer taste after 10 weeks?

If the competition is on 1/8/12 you still have time to rebrew it. IPAs should be drank as fresh as possible.

did you use the whole bottle?
How did the beer taste after 10 weeks?

I used half the bottle (I think it was 2 ounces out of the 4) and for that first 2.5 months it was nothing but raspberry. Once it started to fade out I could taste the stout coming through, but that beer didn't peak until 4 or 5 months post kegging. If I had to do it again, I'd start with half an ounce of extract, mix it in and sample it and get it to the point where I enjoyed the flavor.

Discretion is the better part of valor with those extracts... they are almost too strong IMO.

If the competition is on 1/8/12 you still have time to rebrew it. IPAs should be drank as fresh as possible.

The concept of the competition is to use the ingredients given and brew that day, anything else would be considered cheating

hopsalot said:
The concept of the competition is to use the ingredients given and brew that day, anything else would be considered cheating

Just curious, is the hop tea and dry hopping you are doing not considered cheating? I assume the hops that were given to you were incorporated into your hop schedule.

Not tryin to be picky or bust balls, but I've got one of these competitions coming up, and I'm curious as to how you're going to correct the issue without "cheating". Did you save some of the hops just in case?

Just curious, is the hop tea and dry hopping you are doing not considered cheating? I assume the hops that were given to you were incorporated into your hop schedule.

Not tryin to be picky or bust balls, but I've got one of these competitions coming up, and I'm curious as to how you're going to correct the issue without "cheating". Did you save some of the hops just in case?

No you dont have to declare if you dryhop, just brew that day with the club and declare a style. But I had planned on dry hopping the beer to begin with. Saved an ounce of amarillo from the brew day. It is a pretty relaxed club

hopsalot said:
No you dont have to declare if you dryhop, just brew that day with the club and declare a style. But I had planned on dry hopping the beer to begin with. Saved an ounce of amarillo from the brew day. It is a pretty relaxed club

Cool. Good luck man

Back