Paulaner Oktoberfest Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tderanleau

Reaction score
I have been emailing with Christian, the brewmaster at Paulaner in Germany. And have basically gotten the recipe for their Oktoberfest Bier.

1.056 OG
22 IBU
5 SRM
FG 1.011
ABV 6%

Water chemistry
Ca 22ppm
Mg 8 ppm
Na 0ppm
SO4 31ppm
CI 39ppm
HCO3 0ppm

^ the above water profile is what is said to be the water from Paulaners well.

Double decoction mash, each boil is 10 min long.

80% Weyermann Pilsner
20% Weyermann munich type 2

90 min boil

Start of boil add in 17.2 ibu worth of Hallertau tradition hops

10 min left of boil add in 4.8 ibu worth of Hallertau tradition hops

Their yeast as of now is a secret, I’ll ask him what he uses but doubt he’ll tell me, but I assume either wlp820 or wlp920 *edit* use wlp838

Ferment 2 weeks
Lager 4 weeks
Carb to 2.7 vol

Now… I’m still waiting on some replies back from him, but what I know now, is since last year they stopped using herkules hops, and only use Hallertau tradition hops. 55% at the start of the boil, and 45% at 10 min left of the boil. He hasn’t responded yet with how long the boil is but I can only assume it’s a 90 minute boil. The only things I’m guessing so far on this recipe is the yeast, the carbonation vol, and well yeah those are pretty much the only two things I don’t know, along with the mash schedule which all I’ve been told from him as of this minute is that each boil is 10 min long. If he updates me any further I’ll add to this post.

He was generous enough to share the recipe with me and with Oktoberfest coming soon I figured I would share the most popular beer at Oktoberfest in Germanys recipe with y’all.

Brew it up and tell me what you guys think!
Prost!

Last edited:
Did some investigating and I think WLP838 is the best bet for the Paulaner Oktoberfest bier yeast strain.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. This is great info. The German festbiers are my favorite. Probably won't get to go back and enjoy the actuals so I'll be trying to get as close to a clone as possible.

This clone recipe showed up in Zymurgy magazine many years ago...

Attachments

• Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone.jpg
    Paulaner Oktoberfest Clone.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 0
octoberfest is a beer that i think should be made year round. as it is great as an all around malty refreshing beer. although marketing would take a hit in that case.

i have done a couple of kit recipes but with out decoctions and turn out great.

that being said is this like the original coca cola recipe.

Everybody I came back to this and realized I typed in 90 min boil, it’s actually a 70 min boil!!

I just bottled my 1 gal test. It had a nice smell. Like a lager should. Will report back on taste.

My OG ended at 1.053 but FG was 1.007. Still 6%.

I have been sampling a few as it conditions. Yesterday was sample 3. Best so far. Doesn't have that traditional oktoberfest (or German bier) taste I was hoping for. I don't have much faith in 34/70 giving the taste I want. I don't know how to describe beer pallet tastes, but I would brew a big batch of this. My 1 Gal don't seem to turn out as good so I will assume a full 5.5gal batch will be much better.

I have been sampling a few as it conditions. Yesterday was sample 3. Best so far. Doesn't have that traditional oktoberfest (or German bier) taste I was hoping for. I don't have much faith in 34/70 giving the taste I want. I don't know how to describe beer pallet tastes, but I would brew a big batch of this. My 1 Gal don't seem to turn out as good so I will assume a full 5.5gal batch will be much better.
Next time I’d go for 17.2 ibu at 70 minutes (start of boil) then 4.8 ibu at 10 min and try out the Hallertau tradition since that’s what’s used, and use WLP838 instead of the 34/70.. carb to 2.6 vol co2

Also pretty sure I remember the head brewer at Paulaner saying it gets lagered/conditioned for 6 weeks

Back