Oxygenation vs Pitching Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjohnson

Reaction score
My understanding is that we oxygenate in order to get the yeast reproducing. If one pitches enough yeast from a healthy starter, is it still necessary? My thinking would be that if you pitch enough, you don't need the yeast to spend any time reproducing - they can get right to business.

You are correct. The downside is if you are brewing a beer that is yeast centered. The growth cycle will determine the character of some beers. Without the growth of the yeast the beer will be neutral on yeast character.

no thats not correct. pitching a starter limits the amount of growth that occurs and reduces stress on the yeast. this results in less byproduct production. lower byproduct production means there is less for the yeast to clean up after fermentation and will give you a better beer. the recommended pitch rates are no where near what is left at the bottom of your carboy at the end of fermentation. so obviously even if you pitched the proper amount there is still growth and growth requires oxygen.

I've seen proponents of NOT oxygenating wort and pitching large yeast starters and some stating exactly the opposite when trying to "stress" the yeast to get yeast character.

In the case of pitching large without oxygenation you will get alcohol production almost immediately without appreciable yeast reproduction.

Of course I could be wrong or misunderstand what I've been reading.

Latest posts

Back