Over-foaming starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMang

Reaction score
I made a 3L starter, stepping up to a 5L starter for propagation. I planned to fill 7 mason jars with 200 billion cells in each, using a propagation calculator. I made the 5L step up last night and stuck it on the stir plate. I woke up this morning to it gushing foam from the top of the 5L flask. Does it make sense that the propagation (lag) phase is done since it is at high krausen? I guess I just don't know what to do. Any time I agitate it, it tries to foam over. Should I just let it finish fermenting without the stir plate and just swirl it every once in a while. Just looking for advice I suppose.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Unfortunately you will have larger gushers with just swirling occasionally. I've had this bad experience when using a flask. Since went to a different style container for starters.
Fermcap can control the krausen formation in a flask.

+1 to everything said. When looking for fermcap look for fermcap at and not c is my advice. It's just precautionary, but if you don't filter fermcap c potentially harmful to you.

Back