Outdoor burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KAB-6 with 30 psi regulator, Super quiet and 15 gal into a boil in less than 15 min.

I really like the quiet when brewing, its nice to be able to talk without having to yell over a loud burner.

Quiet, Fast, Efficient, what more could you ask for ?

Also a Great patio heater during the boil, like I need my patio heated this time of year, its 110 deg lol

Cheers :mug:

I was using a basic Bayou classic turkey fryer and couldn't stand the 1hr+ it took to get my 8Gal boil rolling. I went so far as getting some sheet metal and building a shroud to keep the heat on the pot (that helps a lot btw, took about 20 min off the boil time). That burner uses a 15PSI regulator.

I started shopping for a better burner, and looked at the KAB4, KAB6, the Dark Star from NB, and one or two from Hurricane. In the end I wound up buying the Blichmann after reading loads of reviews. One thing that I noted was the KAB4/KAB6 use a 30PSI regulator, and the Blichmann uses a 10PSI regulator. That means less fuel used, so more brew days without a trip for a fillup. Nice.

I did a boil test of plain water in my 8 gal kettle from tap temp (58°F to boil and it took ~24 min)...and I only had it at about 60% flame.

The Blichmann is:
1) quiet
2) efficient
3) Powerful!
4) has an adjustable platform for handling small to giant kettles
5) can add legs to get siphon height
6) Stainless steel for bling effect, and no rusting

The only drawback I could think of is price, but time is money...it'll pay for itself in more enjoyable brew days and less time in the garage.

So...conclusion...another +1 for Blichmann. :)

John

just used the blichmann for the first time. can't believe I waited this long to get out of the kitchen. i had a boil over with it and i've never had to worry about that before.

good luck.

My recommendation is go with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00264G584/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I just did my first brew on it last week and it worked great. For $127 it is a steal and sets you up with a brew rig. It is smaller than it looks, but the primary burner is very powerful. I have not used the raised burner yet. I also have this burner:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FTS32W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It also works great, but it is a gas hog. I had to wrap aluminum foil around the bottom to improve the efficiency. It will bring 15-gallons to a boil in a few minutes. It also sounds like a jet engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
SQ-14 and Blichmann are both great. I use the blich with my keg converted mash tun because it is easier to fine tune the flame low to high. I use the bayou burner for my boil as fine control is not important. The blich uses less fuel and is slightly better in the wind. The bayou burner needs to have a wind shield sometimes to keep the flame stable. Only upgrade if needs dictate or you have cash to burn

SQ-14 and Blichmann are both great. I use the blich with my keg converted mash tun because it is easier to fine tune the flame low to high. I use the bayou burner for my boil as fine control is not important. The blich uses less fuel and is slightly better in the wind. The bayou burner needs to have a wind shield sometimes to keep the flame stable. Only upgrade if needs dictate or you have cash to burn

Do you have any idea of fuel usage difference between the two burners? I have often wondered if it would and how long it would take for the Blichmann to pay for itself in propane.

next brew day will try to remember to weigh before and after using both burners to bring 5 gallons or so to boiling. Might be a bit as I have 4 different 5 gallon batches fermenting now and both kegs are at least half full. Oh the problems I have, sigh.....:D

I've just had my first brew day using my new shiny Blichmann floor burner and I'm bowled over. Five gallons of strike water was heated to mash in temp in fifteen minutes or less. I'm not sure exactly how long it took but it surprised me how fast it was.

Then I had four gallons of first runnings in my 15 gallon kettle, running the burner at maybe 3/4s of full power. I thought "It's OK, I've added the anti-foam and its got miles of headspace, I can leave it to it's own devices". Came back and it was boiling over. I've never managed that in this size kettle with my old turkey fryer burner.

Next brew day I'll measure my propane consumption, but I'm pretty sure that this thing will eventually pay for itself as it certainly used a lot less propane on todays double batch brewday than the torch burner would have. So quiet too!

Chalk me up as another happy SQ14 brewer. I picked one up on Amazon a few months ago when I built a keggle and switched to all-grain brewing. Prior to that I was using a little stainless turkey fryer from Bass Pro. If I had it to do over again I would have bought this burner to begin with. Reasonable cost, efficient, sturdy, and big enough to boil a large brewkettle or keggle.

Anything with 50-60,000 BTU works fine. If you are using keggles for pots make sure that it sits on the cooker completely and is nice and stable. Some don't and 15 gal of boiling hot wort spilled can ruin your day.
If you are into brewing, I recommend having at least two cookers. You can get by with one but if anything clogs up or goes wrong in any way, you are screwed! We have been doing two eleven gallon batches on the same day with two cookers and only one mashtun and boil kettle. It only takes about an hour longer than doing one batch. The setup and cleanup is almost the same for two batches as one.

I went from the cheapo timer turkey fryer to blichmann after considering the banjo, etc for a while. I live pretty close to the NB Saint Paul store- good thing because the cast iron part of the burner by the air intake actually fell in two pieces as I pulled it out of the box. Yikes!
I exchanged it no problem and absolutely love this burner. I can't speak for everyone's finances (or fiancées.....) but it's a great burner and the lips that hold the pot on are a great feature. Overall it's a great piece of equipment.

Anybody use the blichmann leg extensions?

How stable does it feel on those? I'm considering a 15- or 20- gallon pot and there's something a bit unnerving about having that much hot wort that high, but it would also be very convenient.

monkeybox said:
Anybody use the blichmann leg extensions? How stable does it feel on those? I'm considering a 15- or 20- gallon pot and there's something a bit unnerving about having that much hot wort that high, but it would also be very convenient.

I upgraded to a Blichmann 15gal and burner with legs extensions and have done a few batches. I've had up to ~12 gal of water heating up at certain times and haven't had any stability issues. I'm careful not to push or bump it, but I'm not very worried about it falling over.

I was a bit nudgy about using the 24" legs as intended, so I did this mod to substantially increase the spread...
ab_jul_15_2011_03.jpg

Cheers!

Blichman Burner all the way. We got one on here for $100.00 that a fellow home brewer was selling, it had never been used. We brew on the front porch all year around when the winter hits we will set out a trash can with warm water in it to help stabilize temp of the propane.

I was a bit nudgy about using the 24" legs as intended, so I did this mod to substantially increase the spread...
ab_jul_15_2011_03.jpg

Cheers!

Do you like the legs? I was thinking about getting them. Do they bolt right up to the original bolt holes? Sorry one more question! What's that steel plate under the kettle?

The legs were almost a necessity for my totally ghetto brew rig to work via gravity. I'd rest the HLT with the long legs on top of a card table, a cooler MLT sat directly on the table, and the BK was on the ground on another Blichmann burner with the original/short legs. I did have to lift the BK to sit on the table to drain into a carboy at the end of the session, but that was manageable enough.

The 24" legs bolt in place of the stock legs without any mods required, the holes are all drilled already. To have them mount to the outside of the stock legs as I did requires drilling both old and new, best done with a drill press and a jig so all the holes automagically line up.

The stainless plate under the edge of the kettle is a heat shield to protect the ball valve, thermometer and sight gauge. It's provided by Blichmann with the burner...

Cheers!

The legs were almost a necessity for my totally ghetto brew rig to work via gravity. I'd rest the HLT with the long legs on top of a card table, a cooler MLT sat directly on the table, and the BK was on the ground on another Blichmann burner with the original/short legs. I did have to lift the BK to sit on the table to drain into a carboy at the end of the session, but that was manageable enough.

The 24" legs bolt in place of the stock legs without any mods required, the holes are all drilled already. To have them mount to the outside of the stock legs as I did requires drilling both old and new, best done with a drill press and a jig so all the holes automagically line up.

The stainless plate under the edge of the kettle is a heat shield to protect the ball valve, thermometer and sight gauge. It's provided by Blichmann with the burner...

Cheers!

I got mine used I will have to check and see if we got that plate. Thanks

I have a bayou classic, 15-20 minutes to get my strike water to temp while i setup and clean out the rest of my gear. Then 15-20 to bring it to a boil after I finish sparging. I've had it for 2 years. Lookout for specials at the end of the summer season, at least here in the northeast. I got it on sale for $55 with a 32 quart stainless pot and basket combo.

I have a Blichmann and am sooo glad I bought it. It's really nice.

My friend has one of those random burners that everyone has, and that thing is really loud. It sounds like a jet engine. It's annoying and loud and you have to raise your voice to talk while standing next to it. The neighbors can hear it, too, in fact.

Mine is nice and quiet and you can have a normal conversation while standing next to it. It's stainless and still looks brand new. It costs more but I'm really glad I own it.

Just to bump - Sams has a 9gal Al pot, lid, thermometer, basket and burner for $70.

I got one to supplement my 10 year old turkey fryer w/ steel 7.5 gal pot.

Figure I am good to go for BIAB 5 gal with either and maybe a dunk sparge or run both, split the batch and do 10gals.

The only complaint I have with the Blickmann is that I can't set it by the noise level any more. My ears are tuned to the roar of the turkey fryer, so far I still have to eyeball the Blickmann to dial in the heat.

The only complaint I have with the Blickmann is that I can't set it by the noise level any more. My ears are tuned to the roar of the turkey fryer, so far I still have to eyeball the Blickmann to dial in the heat.

I took a sharpie and made marks on the regulator.

I know that my setting "1" is great for a slow rolling boil, and setting "3" is for a very strong boil. That's the best and most accurate way, plus it makes for easy repeatability for evap rate predictions.

I have 3 of the Bayou Classic KB14 and they work very well. Our stand is one of those heavy racks from Lowes/HomeDepot and the burner fits nicely between the bars.

Our stand is one of those heavy racks from Lowes/HomeDepot and the burner fits nicely between the bars.

Do you mind sharing what rack you're talking about?

I have to say that I have never regretted buying the Blichmann. It was a solid purchase decision.

I have the SP10, I love the jet engine sound at full power haha!!

Once the rolling boil is reached I can run with the regulator hardly cracked open. Saddly I can only get about 4 boils out of a tank, I might be able to do 5 if I really wanted to but I have never pushed it just because I didnt want to run out mid boil.

Back