Opinions on Partystarr setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Reaction score
just ran across someone selling theres on craigslist comes with the tapp and 6 kegs. can get it for 40 bucks...what you guys think is it worth it or is it a problematic system. looking for something to cut down on some bottling

IME it's fine the first time you use it. Then it turns into a total PITA. IMO, far moee trouble than it's worth. Better off, IMO, saving your money and get a real kegging setup. The CO2 tap that you get with the partystar eats through 16 gram CO2 cartridges like you won't believe. Unless you drain the entire keg jn one evening. If you leave it connected, the carbonation will leak out and the cartridge will drain even if you turn it off.

It's good for a portable system, or when space is at a true premium (no room for kegs/kegerator) because the keg, with tap, will generally fit on the top shelf of a regular fridge, or inside nearly any mini-fridge.

Don't bother if your only intention is to use it instead of bottles in your own home. Use it when you intend to travel with it to a party, picnics, camping, or want to have the leeway to do so later, unless you're going to modify it and use a co2 tank.

Also, the metal dip tube (upgrade, sold separately) appears to have more problems with leaking than the plastic one for some reason. My tap ate up 4 co2 cartridges before I gave up on it and pulled it to use the bottom spout instead (which introduces o2, and requires you to consume in ~24 hours)
The plastic dip tube had no such problems, and 2x 16 gram cartridges was more than enough to serve a 5L keg.
I chose to use it to travel with, and it was a hit, and I didn't need to bring a full kegging setup. I expected, and received, no more than that.

Back