One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for a different direction -- not something odd or unusual, just expensive: I really want to try a Beef Wellington but doubt I'll ever muster up the money to go to a celebrity chef's restaurant.

When I was in Paris a few months ago, my Fiance's professor took us to the asian section of the city. There was a Pho restaurant, called Pho 18 I think? OH MY GOD. It was amazing. I cannot even begin to describe how awesome it was.

Fortunately, there is a great Pho place semi-close to me (2.5 hours away) Savannah, GA. If you are there, be sure to check out the Flying Monk Noodle Bar. Their Pho is great, not quite as good as Paris, but still great.

If you are ever near Atlanta, Johns Creek and Buford Highway have some of the BEST Asian restaurants outside of Asia.

I'm more likely to get to paris than the US....;)

Growing up in the Netherlands and living in finland, having traveled a bit in asia, africa and south-america, the only "cuisine" i'm totally unfamiliar with is north-american foods, outside of weak fakes served over here.

Ever been to Smoke out in Dallas? It's more yuppie than your typical bbq place, but damn is it fantastic.

I love that place and would go all the time if I had money. Great beer, great atmosphere. Yes, it's uptown, but it's not pretentious.

I just ate a 1/2 lb. patty melt and now I'm hungry again.

Ever been to Smoke out in Dallas? It's more yuppie than your typical bbq place, but damn is it fantastic.

Sounds good.

heading to Hard8 tonight for some BBQ after reading this thread.

For treemendous BBQ you can't beat The SaltLick near Austin.

url-12.jpeg

There are no words.

I'd like to try haggis. I don't think I'll like it, but I'll try it.

I'd like to give a list of things I've eaten that the average white folk probably has not.

Kangaroo meat (friend's bday, obtained from a quebec butcher shop)

Raw caribou

Raw Walrus

Raw seal

Raw whale blubber (muktuk)

Clams from a walrus stomach (digestive system cooks it)

The raw foods I grew up on. I find it tastes better that way, rather than cooking it.

Wow I would like to try all of those.

Time for a different direction -- not something odd or unusual, just expensive: I really want to try a Beef Wellington but doubt I'll ever muster up the money to go to a celebrity chef's restaurant.

You should make one. They aren't all that tough.. more time consuming than anything. And still a little pricey.

Look up Gordon Ramsay's recipe on YouTube. I've made it several times and it is great.

These are probably all here

If you're referring to all of the different animals from the second quote, I wish. Street barbecue meat is pretty basic - pork, beef, usually some chicken and mutton, fish with a ton of bones, maybe pond snails and imitation crab. There are often a few vendors in tourist-heavy food streets who have camel, ostrich, venison, maybe yak if you're out west, but nothing super exciting, and you have to go to tourist central to get them, which is a definite minus.

Never tried truffles. I saw pizza with diced truffles on the menu at a little restaurant we stopped at in Nice, France, but I ordered the bouillabaisse instead, which was incredible, BTW.

If you're referring to all of the different animals from the second quote, I wish. Street barbecue meat is pretty basic - pork, beef, usually some chicken and mutton, fish with a ton of bones, maybe pond snails and imitation crab. There are often a few vendors in tourist-heavy food streets who have camel, ostrich, venison, maybe yak if you're out west, but nothing super exciting, and you have to go to tourist central to get them, which is a definite minus.

Meerly my poor attempt at humour. From my experience in some parts of China they eat anything that moves

It's lunch time. My cousin caught a beluga whale the other day, now the whole town has some delicious food :)

Y'all need to try some.
lunch.jpg

I'll admit, half the reason I posted this is to see your "eewww" reactions. But it is in fact, quite delicious, and this seems to be the appropriate thread to post it to :)

It's lunch time. My cousin caught a beluga whale the other day, now the whole town has some delicious food :)

Y'all need to try some.
View attachment 305718

I'll admit, half the reason I posted this is to see your "eewww" reactions. But it is in fact, quite delicious, and this seems to be the appropriate thread to post it to :)

Is that the blubber? Kinda looks like conch ceviche.

Looks really fresh. Like the ulu blade @Venari . Is that for filleting the blubber.

Unrelated but from northern climes too

I'd like to try Hákarl (Icelandic rotten shark) just to check the box. It supposed to be bloody awful. An acquired taste to say the least.

Rwie0E0.jpg

The ulu is a women's knife used for everything from cutting food to cutting skins for making clothing.

It was fresh, caught just a few days ago. Goes great when dipped in soysauce and salt.

That rotten shark looks....like it tastes like igunaq (aged/rotten walrus/whale). I've tried the igunaq, and based on that i'll stay away from the shark.

lol I'm not sure the name still translates properly. Ulu's are fantastic knives to have in the kitchen.

I found some frozen, ground emu at the store & decided to try it. I bought 2 lbs of it, 1 lb will have nothing added to it so I can taste the unadulterated flavor of the meat; the other I'd like to do something with, just not sure what yet. Seems like somebody here (maybe Revvy?) had some emu meat a while back, but I don't remember hearing how it turned out. So any of you adventurous foodies have an emu recipe or tips you'd care to share?
Regards, GF.

Hunted a ranch a few years back and was told to shoot any emu I saw....saw two. I just boned them out. We chicken fried a batch of it....was ok. The rest wound up being added to a big batch of deer sausage....by mistake....it got thawed out with the venison. That was good sausage, but it always is. Protein is protein in sausage! I wanted to make emu jerky. I hate wasting meat, that said, I would not pay for emu....to me it was just Ok.

I always laugh when i see youtube channels about food/candy tasting and people try finnish salmiakki.

I love it, but most foreigners seem to hate it a lot.

Back