OMG This Takes a LONG time!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter

Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put the OMG in the title especially for Yooper, LOL!!! ;)

Seriously, this is beer related, but it is a rant. I haven't really been able to brew for about a month because I'm lagering a bock and it is taking FOREVER! I don't think I've ever gone this long without brewing something. The only upside is, I'm able to cold condition my Scottish 80/- at the same time.

Sigh, I suppose it's a good problem to have, but, man, I feel like an impatient noob!!

I was planning to do a Helles back in October, then I said screw this I can do 3 beers by the time it finishes lagering. Next brew is set for end of December, going to do the Helles I've been dreaming of and attempting to maybe do an Irish Red in a swamp cooler (even winter here is too warm for ales at ambient house temps)

I just got myself a lagering fridge. In the summer, I'll probably use it for ales also, but in the winter I don't need it for ales at all so I can dedicate it to lagers completely. Going to do one to start, then follow up with two lagers at the same time by splitting the yeast cake from the first one.

If you can do it, I definitely reccomend having seperate set-ups for fermentations.

I can easily ferment Lager in my soon-to-be ferm chamber while fermenting Ales in the house. At least there is 1 good thing about winter in Michigan!

I wish I had room for a separate fermentation chamber. If I had an area of my house that I could keep an even temperature, I could probably do some ales right now, but I don't really have anything like that. I need a basement, but you don't find a lot of basements here in earthquake country. At least, I haven't encountered many. Oh well, a couple more weeks and I can brew again.

Hey, I've been so busy with holiday related stuff that I just realized, the lager is done today!!! What shall I brew next? I’m desperately in need of a porter or a stout and a dunkelweizen is also sounding tasty. So, would it be wrong of me to spend Christmas Eve brewing?!?

Hey, I've been so busy with holiday related stuff that I just realized, the lager is done today!!! What shall I brew next? I’m desperately in need of a porter or a stout and a dunkelweizen is also sounding tasty. So, would it be wrong of me to spend Christmas Eve brewing?!?

No. I can think of no higher calling than brewing on Christmas Eve.

Your wife might see things differently, though.

Oh, and make an oatmeal stout!!!!!!

I'm drinking this now (and I mean NOW!):

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) Yeast- (with a starter)

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Bitterness: 31.6 IBU

well I have brewed 4 times since April so don't feel bad there. Having a baby or at least, having a wife have a baby will do that.

whoops, I just checked it's only 3 brews since April that should be a double :( :(

I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to give a brewing demonstration to her family on Christmas day. Somehow, I don't see it working out though.

Thanks for all the great responses everyone! I've written some quick responses of my own below. I just floated a keg of an old Coopers kit I had laying around. It wasn't the best beer and I was happy to get it out of the way. I hooked up my Scottish 80/-, which had been cold conditioning in the lagering fridge with the bock and, for only my third all-grain brew, I'm pleased. I can't wait to get this bock on the next open faucet!!!

No. I can think of no higher calling than brewing on Christmas Eve.

Your wife might see things differently, though.

Eh, probably not. She's not a beer drinker, but is pretty supportive of my hobby. She probably would like it if I made mead a little more often as she's a bit of an addict.

Oh, and make an oatmeal stout!!!!!!

That recipe looks pretty good. I love stout and am particularly found of the oatmeal variety. I might just try this one out!

well I have brewed 4 times since April so don't feel bad there. Having a baby or at least, having a wife have a baby will do that.

whoops, I just checked it's only 3 brews since April that should be a double :( :(

Yep, family time definitely eats into brewing time. As my two little ones are getting older I'm trying to figure out ways to include them in the brew day, but it can still be tough.

I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to give a brewing demonstration to her family on Christmas day. Somehow, I don't see it working out though.

Sounds like my kind of Christmas!!!

i'm going to spend christmas eve brewing, so i have to say yes, it's perfectly fine to do it :mug:

Okay, I brewed today, a very small, 2 gallon, batch of a Cal. Common extract batch on my stove, just something to get me going. My parents are in town and I was demonstrating a basic partial boil, extract process to my dad. I'm going to let it get through primary in a controlled temp environment this week and next weekend I'm doing a partial mash robust porter. Once that's done, I've got an all grain dunkelweizen planned. Time to fill that pipeline back up!!!!!

I think the trick to the long lager time frame is to have a lager pipeline going. You need to have a dedicated stand up fridge for lager primaries and then you can "lager" in the keg if you have room in your serving chest freezer. Whenever you go from primary to lagering keg you can brew a new lager batch.

This way the only time you're acutally waiting for the lagering to finish is the first batch. Each consecutive batch is already in the pipeline after that.

The weather here has had my fermentation tubs out in the brew shed at a consistent 50F for months now, but then I also have another fridge to lager in. My chest freezer has been heated for ales. Nearly all of the 150 pounds of grain I bought in late October in now used up.

Back