Oktoberfest Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
So it is that time of year(towards the end actually) what temp do you shoot for to ferment your oktoberfest/marzen? I usually go around 60 deg farenheit for about 2 weeks do a diacetyl rest for a couple days, and then cold crash to hi 30s and let it do that till I keg her up in september. I typically use White Labs oktoberfest yeast in a 2 liter starter but this I am using the Wyeast version same starter size. Just curious on what you all like to do.

So it is that time of year(towards the end actually) what temp do you shoot for to ferment your oktoberfest/marzen? I usually go around 60 deg farenheit for about 2 weeks do a diacetyl rest for a couple days, and then cold crash to hi 30s and let it do that till I keg her up in september. I typically use White Labs oktoberfest yeast in a 2 liter starter but this I am using the Wyeast version same starter size. Just curious on what you all like to do.

Just made one few weeks ago.

Here is my profile.

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 6.11.22 PM.png

• Pitched at 48°F
  • Ferment at 50 °F till slightly above FG
  • Passive rise to 68°F over days

Stays there till FG is reached

Cooled to 31°F overnight and kegged 3 days later.

Total time to kegging was 20 days.

Currently lagering at 34°F

I usually pitch and ferment between 48F and 52F for 2 weeks and then let it sit somewhere in the 60's for a week. Then crash and lager at 31/32F for 2-6 weeks. It really depends what yeast you're using though, I usually use 833 or 2308 for my oktoberfests. I'd definitely recommend giving 833 a go, it's my favorite lager yeast.

Usually I use white labs 820 but using wyeast 2633. I could definitely see 833 being a good one. Thanks for the info.

I used White Labs Oktoberfest yeast (forget the number) and let it sit at 60F for 3 weeks, cold crashed to 32 for a couple days and racked to a keg where I lagered at 38F for a month. Came out excellent!

I used White Labs Oktoberfest yeast (forget the number) and let it sit at 60F for 3 weeks, cold crashed to 32 for a couple days and racked to a keg where I lagered at 38F for a month. Came out excellent!

I have always lagered in a carboy but was thinking about doing it in the keg to take up less room in the fridge. Do you put an air lock on it?

I have always lagered in a carboy but was thinking about doing it in the keg to take up less room in the fridge. Do you put an air lock on it?

No. Lagering = aging at cold temps. It's no longer fermenting, so no need to keep an airlock on it. Many people move to secondary and just put a solid bung on the carboy. I prefer a keg on CO2 so I don't worry about oxidation and also so that it's ready to serve immediately! (and you get to sneak some samples along the way...)

That's why I prefer an extended initial fermentation at slightly higher temps - to ensure fermentation is complete before cold crashing and lagering.

:mug:

Back