Off taste Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed up 2 batches a few weeks ago. One of the batches came out with a very sharp grass/peppery flavor. This was fermented with wlp029 at 60 degrees (Pitched at 58 degrees). The flavor was prominent during fermentation and it is still there 3 weeks later. Perfect fermentation and no infection whatsoever. I am thinking it is the hops. I used Cluster hops and targeted about 16 IBU. This beer was very simple with 2 row, 6 row, and some corn.....
My other beer was all pilsner malt fermented at 48 degrees with 34/70. I bittered this with cluster as well but finished it with Saaz. This beer does not exhibit the flavor as the other given the same bittering hop. What could be my issue here? I was thinking it was the yeast at first but I hear wlp029 is supposed to be very lagerish.

I am thinking it is the cluster hops... after taster my pilsner I am getting just a bit of the same taste. It came in pellet form sealed obviously. Smelled really good when I opened it

Back