Odd question to ask...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I brew with a 3-tier rig in my garage. Last year, I moved from TX (2 car garage) to CO (3 car garage). My wife, basically, said the third car area is all mine for setting up my brewing operation; and I have taken full advantage of the space.

The garage floor in the TX home was solid cement, all flat which made spills of water and wort easy tp clean-up and sweep to the driveway. The new house garage floor has cement breaks in the slab to prevent unwanted cracks from traveling across the entire floor.

The problem is that the breaks collect water and wort and take forever to dry out. I’m worried the breaks are becoming an unsanitary breeding ground for germs. When cleaning up at the end of brewing I do put starsan in the breaks but I’m not sure if I am eliminating the germs properly.

Thoughts?

The breaks are stress relief points so expansion and contraction has a place to go. Usually they're just grooves in the cement. I wouldnt sweat some water/wort getting in there in in the least. Another question is why is so much wort getting into the grooves? What are dumping inside your garage?

The most I got from this thread is you have a 3 car garage with a full bay dedicated to brewing...Sounds like a sweet setup...jealous

I brew with a 3-tier rig in my garage. Last year, I moved from TX (2 car garage) to CO (3 car garage). My wife, basically, said the third car area is all mine for setting up my brewing operation; and I have taken full advantage of the space.

The garage floor in the TX home was solid cement, all flat which made spills of water and wort easy tp clean-up and sweep to the driveway. The new house garage floor has cement breaks in the slab to prevent unwanted cracks from traveling across the entire floor.

The problem is that the breaks collect water and wort and take forever to dry out. I’m worried the breaks are becoming an unsanitary breeding ground for germs. When cleaning up at the end of brewing I do put starsan in the breaks but I’m not sure if I am eliminating the germs properly.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Starsan is not a cleaner. Only a sanitizer. So that would not help at all. Find some way to fill those cracks, as mentioned, or cover your brew area floor with something.

Most Home Depots or Lowe's carry remnants (around 11' x 14') of vinyl flooring; you could get one of those to put under your equipment. Mop it & dry it when you're done, roll it back up, and boom you're ready for next brewday. I have one and should do that but lazy and my garage is solid cement.

Thoughts?
why are you spilling so much?

Thanks for the replies....not a lot of spilling but the water/wort accumulates over time (I usually brew 3-4 times a month) and seems take time to dry out. I have a shop vac that I used to clean my mill and dirt on the floor. Ill check lowes for an epoxy solution.

Thanks for the replies....not a lot of spilling but the water/wort accumulates over time (I usually brew 3-4 times a month) and seems take time to dry out. I have a shop vac that I used to clean my mill and dirt on the floor. Ill check lowes for an epoxy solution.

I've got some cracks in my basement floor and was planning on using this (Lowes link). I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Otherwise several basement contractors suggestd just using regular concrete/ masonry caulking and smoothing it out with wide drywall taping knife.

So you are one of those people who have moved here, ehh. Sikka seal at home depot is what you are looking for. It expands and contracts with our hot and cold weather and is self leveling. If the gap is too big, back fill with sand or foam. Cleanliness is key to a quality seal job. Clean gaps well with pressure washer or otherwise. Allow to dry, then use quality self level seal like sikka. Last probably ten years. And to those that arent worried, eww.

On a side note, its so weird to me. Longmont was srsly farm people when I was growing up, srsly, farm people. People who talked and acted different from us. Now its a place for either white flight from Denver or Californian/Texans to move because its more affordable. What is happening to my beloved state is so weird. Nice little city though isnt it. Welp glad you are here I. Have you been to left hand yet? I have been getting beer there for 20 plus years or so. Probably wouldnt even recognize it. Im not trying to be a richard its just hard for me. Imagine if me and a bunch of other loud east coast people, along with pc Californians moved into your hometown by the millions. Made your ski trip go from 1.5 hours to 3 and basically made everything you have loved to do your whole life crowded and over populated to the point you dont want to do it anymore. Its just hard for my wife and I, I guess welcome to the future.

Last edited:
So you are one of those people who have moved here, ehh. Sikka seal at home depot is what you are looking for. It expands and contracts with our hot and cold weather and is self leveling. If the gap is too big, back fill with sand or foam. Cleanliness is key to a quality seal job. Clean gaps well with pressure washer or otherwise. Allow to dry, then use quality self level seal like sikka. Last probably ten years. And to those that arent worried, eww.

On a side note, its so weird to me. Longmont was srsly farm people when I was growing up, srsly, farm people. People who talked and acted different from us. Now its a place for either white flight from Denver or Californian/Texans to move because its more affordable. What is happening to my beloved state is so weird. Nice little city though isnt it. Welp glad you are here I. Have you been to left hand yet? I have been getting beer there for 20 plus years or so. Probably wouldnt even recognize it. Im not trying to be a richard its just hard for me. Imagine if me and a bunch of other loud east coast people, along with pc Californians moved into your hometown by the millions. Made your ski trip go from 1.5 hours to 3 and basically made everything you have loved to do your whole life crowded and over populated to the point you dont want to do it anymore. Its just hard for my wife and I, I guess welcome to the future.

see you in 6 months ;)

Latest posts

Back