Not using a secondary fermenter for Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peroua15

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a belgian tripel thats decent without a secondary fermenter?

ive done both, I prefer using a secondary to clear out as much trub as possible. Im going to start transfering after 5 days. Why dont u want to secondary?

ive done both, I prefer using a secondary to clear out as much trub as possible. Im going to start transfering after 5 days. Why dont u want to secondary?

I just don't have a secondary fermenter and would really like to make a tripel. I have read it isn't necessary...maybe add some irish moss to make it clearer instead...?

If you don't have a secondary, just condition/carb in the bottle the time that you would condition in secondary. After that chill in fridge for a week or longer and I bet it will be nice and clear.

After all they say that most Tripels and other high gravity belgian beers taste best after 4 to 6 months. This is done in the bottle.

I just don't have a secondary fermenter and would really like to make a tripel. I have read it isn't necessary...maybe add some irish moss to make it clearer instead...?

a secondary is not needed for your beer to clear up. many new brewers are told (by the LHBS or the instructions in the kit) to transfer the beer after x number of days then they post on here wondering why the beer is still at 1.030. there is nothing wrong with a secondary if done right (CO2 flushed fermentor and so on) but if you don't do it you won't notice a difference. whirlfloc or irish moss, a good cold break, time and cold crashing all do the same thing without having to move the beer.

I agree with leaving in primary. After 8-10 batches of green beer thanks to my LHBS and Charlie Papazian telling me to transfer after 5 days, I finally realized that 3wks allows yeast to clean up off flavors and clear beer as well. I have now started using whirfloc which just drops in the boiling wort right before flameout rather than the lengthy process of racking to a secondary.

IMHO, racking to secondary too early is probably the most common mistake for new brewers. I really wish Charlie would do a 4th edition and address this on the first page!

Back