New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never gets old posting pics of your baby! Treehouse recipe with first time using Cryo in the DH. I have gotten patient brewing these, spent 21 days in fermenter.

Simcoe Cryo
Citra Cryo
Amarillo Lupomax

IMG_0093.jpeg

Got them from Yakima Valley and was a bit nervous from comments in this thread. Smell was good though. I did keep use a little less ratio of Galaxy to the others but still 3 oz in the DH (none in whirlpool).

I didn't notice any bad flavors in that initial taste. The flavor was very much like you would expect form a NEIPA. Lots of citrus and a bit of dank flavor. There was a bit of astringency/harshness to it, but I have found that isn't uncommon right away. It's not fully carbed yet and on my last couple it took a day or two for the harshness to mellow out a bit. Even as is it was plenty good.
Reporting back on this after a few days. The off galaxy flavor is there. Not super prominent but there. Peanut/astringent is a good description. It’s interesting I’ve noticed this on a couple commercial beers lately. Now I know source. It’s still a great beer but I’ll likely stay away from galaxy until I hear better reports.

Although I still have quite a few ounces left. Thoughts on other uses?

What do you think of that recipe? I was pretty surprise the hot side hopping is so minimal, and the protein adjuncts pretty minimal.

I did my own take on Nate’s @ TH recipe. It’s still not quite ready but very pungent at the moment. Still better than 85% of the commercial examples. The glass I am having right now I would put up against Ghost In the Machine by Parish.
image.jpg

Last edited:
What’s the closest sub people use for Galaxy? Some of my early favorite IPAs were all or heavily Galaxy (Clown Shoes Galactica was one I was hooked on a long time).
Galaxy should be getting better this year’s harvest and then moving forward. I was told by a trusted industry person that the popularity grew so much that they quickly started growing more but the infrastructure to process the increased harvest was lagging far behind so it took longer to process it than it should.

I heard that will not/was not the case this year!

What’s the closest sub people use for Galaxy? Some of my early favorite IPAs were all or heavily Galaxy (Clown Shoes Galactica was one I was hooked on a long time).
One of my favorite NEIPAs ever was Vic Secret, but that was a few years ago. Often described as a less intense Galaxy.

Galaxy should be getting better this year’s harvest and then moving forward. I was told by a trusted industry person that the popularity grew so much that they quickly started growing more but the infrastructure to process the increased harvest was lagging far behind so it took longer to process it than it should.

I heard that will not/was not the case this year!
That's interesting so it isn't the hop itself that has changed over time but the processing. I would assume from that then the Galaxy that the big commercial guys are getting is still fine.

Also explains a question I had in the back of my mind. Galaxy was at one time an experimental hop bred from other hops. If the flavor went south for some reason why not start from the beginning. But if it's the process that makes sense.

I work with agriculture equipment and I've been out in the valley during hop harvest but unfortunately spent my time in hay fields so don't know a lot about hop harvest/processing.

That's interesting so it isn't the hop itself that has changed over time but the processing. I would assume from that then the Galaxy that the big commercial guys are getting is still fine.

Also explains a question I had in the back of my mind. Galaxy was at one time an experimental hop bred from other hops. If the flavor went south for some reason why not start from the beginning. But if it's the process that makes sense.

I work with agriculture equipment and I've been out in the valley during hop harvest but unfortunately spent my time in hay fields so don't know a lot about hop harvest/processing.
Yeah, I’m sure the fires had an impact those years but have no confirmation on that.

The guy I got the info has a sizable contract with HAAS and got the info from them

What hops do you use when you want to push melon in an NEIPA?

I tried my first attempt recently at a "Cold IPA", and used Mandarina Bavaria. It turns out that, as the descriptors often say, MB it is totally a strawberry / green melon kind of flavor (whatever the green ones are called that are like cantaloupe but not that). It's a bit strange, I love it and at the same time also not sure I'll do it again.

I tried my first attempt recently at a "Cold IPA", and used Mandarina Bavaria. It turns out that, as the descriptors often say, MB it is totally a strawberry / green melon kind of flavor (whatever the green ones are called that are like cantaloupe but not that). It's a bit strange, I love it and at the same time also not sure I'll do it again.
Interesting I hadn’t heard that descriptor for Mandarina before. Looked up the hop chronicles page for it and sure enough they said melon too. Maybe I’ll do Mandarina Bavaria, cashmere, Nelson sauvin.

I’ve had luck getting melon when using Citra, a touch of mosaic, abd huell melon. Also if you run laiiii 66-68 it can throw some melon
Is that the overripe cantaloupe that people try to avoid or is it a nice melon character? I should be able to ferment in that range no problem

I’ve had luck getting melon when using Citra, a touch of mosaic, abd huell melon. Also if you run laiiii 66-68 it can throw some melon
For the longest I thought your nápeme was D’Angelo,come to find out it’s Dominic lol. For the first time ever I watched no hype beer reviews. Thinking back how do you feel about that beer?

For the longest I thought your nápeme was D’Angelo,come to find out it’s Dominic lol. For the first time ever I watched no hype beer reviews. Thinking back how do you feel about that beer?
Name.
name

Is that the overripe cantaloupe that people try to avoid or is it a nice melon character? I should be able to ferment in that range no problem
If you under pitch and really stress the yeast to produce esters it’s certainly possible. Also hop quality is in play also.

@Dgallo Brujos Brewing, the hot new brewer in Portland who made the best NEIPA I've ever had, is our in your neck of the woods doing collabs with Fiden's and Root & Branch. Keep an eye out, I'd love to hear how they are!

@Dgallo Brujos Brewing, the hot new brewer in Portland who made the best NEIPA I've ever had, is our in your neck of the woods doing collabs with Fiden's and Root & Branch. Keep an eye out, I'd love to hear how they are!
I am impatiently awaiting the release. I had a few beers from brujos, including the first fiden’s and brujos collab. Def solid, I’d put him in the top 5 for sure and possibly even top 2 or 3 (haven’t had enough to justify it with confidence lol)

He has been around for a while. I know he was brewing for great notion.
He still is with great notion. He just has his own side project going and LLC. I think he’s been doing it for 1.5-2 years. Kinda similar to what Jason from timber ales is doing, though he never “worked” professionally with 12%

He still is with great notion. He just has his own side project going and LLC. I think he’s been doing it for 1.5-2 years. Kinda similar to what Jason from timber ales is doing, though he never “worked” professionally with 12%
He first started at black market brewing and left to do contract brewing and yeah for the last 2 years he has been doing R&D work for great notion. I first had a beer from him back in 2019/20

Attachments

• FCC7C0E0-ABF0-4DA5-BC30-0146A9358370.jpeg
    FCC7C0E0-ABF0-4DA5-BC30-0146A9358370.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
He has been around for a while. I know he was brewing for great notion.
Yep he's just recently made a few NEIPA cans available to the public for the first time, the last few were brewed and sold at Living Haus. They just announced the physical brewery/taproom space for Brujos in Portland which will start doing can releases in October and open to the public in spring '24.

Yep he's just recently made a few NEIPA cans available to the public for the first time, the last few were brewed and sold at Living Haus. They just announced the physical brewery/taproom space for Brujos in Portland which will start doing can releases in October and open to the public in spring '24.
Good for him, he definitely has a great product. I’ve been floating the idea around of contract brewing. It’s a big decision, with having 3 under 5 years old and being the insurance carrier for the family, not to mention the facility is like 50-60 minutes from my house. It would certainly be a great opportunity but with the way life is right now, there’s been quite the back and forth with how feasible it would be for us as a family currently

He first started at black market brewing and left to do contract brewing and yeah for the last 2 years he has been doing R&D work for great notion. I first had a beer from him back in 2019/20
Thanks for the info. I hadn’t heard he was anywhere besides great notions, or especially that he was doing his own thing earlier. Def makes great beer

Latest posts

Back