Noob Brett question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
I have a dark rye saison that I am looking to brew for a second time. The first time I used WYeast 3711, and it was fantastic. I think adding some brett on the second go around would provide an interesting result.

My question is what is the process? I'd like to use the 3711 and finish with Brett. The 3711 was a monster, and allowed the beer to finish the right amount of dry (1.005 or thereabouts). How do I add the brett so it doesn't over-attenuate?

3711 will indeed ferment the crap out of most worts. I would probably try mashing relatively high (156 maybe) to increase the levels of long chain sugars and pitch the brett after a couple/few days of the 3711 working.

How do I add the brett so it doesn't over-attenuate?

Given enough time, Brett will almost always attenuate very low. Short of pasteurization, I think there is very little that can be done to prevent Brett from over-attenuating. Mashing high or using dextrin heavy malts won't do much in the long run as Brett can break down long-chain sugars.

Brett can break down esters and alcohols to get your funky flavors but it could take some time. If you're concerned just pitch 3711 and the Brett at the start of primary and package when you have a stable gravity.

It will ferment low, but 3711 takes a beer low on it's own. I primary with 3711 and bottle condition with Brett often and it works great.

Back