No Activity in Yeast Starter- Looking for Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulene

Reaction score
About 30 hours ago I made a 1.5 liter starter from a vial of White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast. I oxygenated it with a stone. When I pitched the wort was about 74 degrees. The starter has sat in my kitchen where the temp is about 70-71 degrees. The vial says the production date was 2/6/13.

12 hours after pitching I came home from work and gave it a swirl. It fizzed up so I thought it was doing great but this morning the yeast had all settled to the bottom and there is no activity. I swirl/ shake frequently but it's not doing anything- no fizzing, nothing!

This is only my second starter. I made my first (1056) in a smaller container and it went crazy. It overflowed from under the foil and made a mess! I didn't aerate that one and I barely even swirled it for fear of it overflowing more. It made great beer though!

I don't know what I did differently with this one.

Any thoughts?

The manufacture date for White Labs is 4 months PRIOR to the date printed on the vial.

Just give the starter more time since you are in month 5+ on that vial, it will go. You could also put a couple grams of nutrient in it, like FermAid-K

Thanks for the reply! I actually took that into account when I posted my topic. The date on the vial is June 6, 2013 so I figured the production date would be February 6.

It could be done fermenting. Take a hydrometer reading? Mine take less than 30 hours, which is where you said yours was at.

Latest posts

Back