Newby here, Best beer brewing kit to get started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgully

Reaction score
Hey guys, Iam new to this so bear with me, I have been looking for a new hobby for the past 6 months, and while having a beer the other day it came to me why not brew my own, I am excited to get started but I dont want to buy some junk starter kit. Can you guys send me in the right direction. Thank you for any input.

I'd go for one of the Northern Brewer 1 gallon kits to see if you like brewing as a hobby. Brew your first batch and like it you can up it to five gallon or more in the future, or if its not for you it's only a $45 ish investment. I got it for my Dad last Christmas and he enjoyed it and brewed successfully.

I agree northern brew has great deals. Brewers best would be my second option. Good luck.

I'd go for one of the Northern Brewer 1 gallon kits to see if you like brewing as a hobby. Brew your first batch and like it you can up it to five gallon or more in the future, or if its not for you it's only a $45 ish investment. I got it for my Dad last Christmas and he enjoyed it and brewed successfully.

If you go this route, take a look at the thread "1-Gallon Brewers Unite!".

Definately start with a 1 gallon kit. I've been brewing since Christmas when my wife got me a craft-a-brew starter kit. And just did my first BIAB 1 gallon. Easy to clean and store. It will be an extract kit. They are super easy and make good beer. Like the above says. Look at norther brewer, more beer, or see if you have an LHBS, local home brew store. They're usually very cool people and love to help new people get into the hobby. Get a copy of brew your own magazine at Barnes and noble. If you can boil water and watch the clock your good to go. Get a mini auto siphon, bottling sucks with a racking cane and tubing.

Have fun!

Something like this
5 gallon kit comes with a recipe kit for less than I paid for my first kit without a recipe kit :(
But most important is to READ and patience. Learn about fermentation temps and letting your new beer alone for a few weeks... yes I know its next to impossible for your first brew but try the best you can. :rockin:

Most, if not all, the major brew equipment suppliers offer reasonably-priced 5 gallon starter kits, typically for around $100 or so. The above-mentioned kit from Northern is an excellent buy for $80. Midwest, Austin, Williams, Morebeer, are just a few to check out as well. See the "Vendor List" link on HBT to find all the suppliers.

Read up on the process. Some knowledge will help you make an informed decision when it comes time to buy gear. John Palmer's "How To Brew" (free online) is an excellent primer for the hobby. Sift through the posts here on HBT, and don't be afraid to ask questions. People are willing to help out new brewers, and no question is a "stupid question" here. The Beginner's Beer Brewing Forum" section is a good place to pick up some basics.

I think you've gotten a lot of great suggestions so far.

As everyone has mentioned, there are a lot of great stater kits out there from places like Northern Brewer. I got my starter kit from my local homebrew supply store.

When deciding on a kit, I think it might help to ask yourself a few questions.

As mentioned before, the most popular starter kits seem to be either 1 gallon or 5 gallon. How much space you have to brew, and especially ferment, can help you determine which one of these may be better for you. Bear in mind that you'll want as temperature controlled environment as you can get for fermenting - least a space that stays relatively cool in your house with even temperatures (like a closet in the middle of your house). If you're like many of us, you may want to step up to better temperature control at some point, be it a swamp cooler or one of many other options, and space will be a consideration there too.

The other thing to perhaps consider is that there isn't much difference in the amount of time it takes to brew and ferment 1 gallon of beer vs. 5 gallons of beer. Do you want more beer for the same amount of time and effort invested?

Then again, there are brewers who want to try different recipes all of the time, and don't want 5 gallons (about 2 cases) of one style before moving on to the next style. These brewers prefer one gallon batches because they move on to the next brew more quickly and don't mind the extra time investment.

When I asked myself these questions, it became pretty clear that the 5 gallon kit was the way to go for me personally, but everyone is different.

Like many people here have said, it's all relative to what u want personally. I'm one that does one gallon brewing n five gallon brewing. I like to experiment with the one gallons n tweak it to what I like or what I think I may like. N once I get it down in the one gallon format ill move it to the five gallon.

I found that Austin Homebrew Shop was the most bang for my buck as they gave u an entire one gallon brewing setup at a great price. They also have one gallon ingredients kits at a great price as well. Not only that but when I emailed them about any questions they were quick to walk me thru my problems and answer any question I may have had.

Brooklyn Brew Ship kits. They are one gallon. Tasty. They are all grain and is an easy intro to all grain and brewing in general!

Another thing not mentioned, see if you have a local home brew club or post up what city youre in. I think the best way to learn and check things out would be to be someones brew assistant for a day.

Bring some craft brew to my house and ill teach you everything i can!!
Im on the app so i cant see where anyone is, but if youre local im brewimg on saturday.

I also am getting started in brewing and I am reading the book the joys of home brewing and when they sugar they mean malt right not refined sugar?

I also am getting started in brewing and I am reading the book the joys of home brewing and when they sugar they mean malt right not refined sugar?

No probably sugar is sugar. You do / can use sugar in making beer.

OP - I do the MR Beer fermenter just because it makes about 2 gals of beer and fits in my cabinets, and you can split a 5 gal batch between two of them. However, if you have the room, the 5 gallon kits are probably the way to go. Everybody has refill kits for 5 gallons. Only MR Beer and Demon have 2.5 gallon kits, and they are liquid malt. I don't mind the MR Beer refills, but it is more expensive than the 5 gallon route. I just don't have room for the 5 gal carboy / bucket. I do have room for 6 MR Beer size fermenters though. Also 2.5 gallons is about half the weight of 5 gallons :)

Monty

OP--If you are like everyone else on here you might as well bite the bullet and get a 5 gal kit. I've yet to bottle my first batch, but I already have the ingredients for my 2nd, a 1 gal experimental hard cider fermenting, the ingredients for an apelwein, and subsequent brews planned out....

What I'm saying is: welcome to the obsession.

ittybittykittycommittee said:
OP--If you are like everyone else on here you might as well bite the bullet and get a 5 gal kit. I've yet to bottle my first batch, but I already have the ingredients for my 2nd, a 1 gal experimental hard cider fermenting, the ingredients for an apelwein, and subsequent brews planned out....

What I'm saying is: welcome to the obsession.

He is right!

My first 4 batches if beer were 2 gallon all grain.... Should have went straight to 5. After 7 months of brewing, I'm ready for 10 gallons!

Buy the right stuff first. Don't skimp on cost. Quality only hurts once.

Back