new to lagering...question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breez7

Reaction score
I am going to try my first lager as I just got that equiptment to allow me to controll my temps. I rarely rack to a secondary, even when I dry hop and am curious if it is necassary to use a secondary since the beer will be on the trub for such a long time? What do you guys/girls do??? Also, any other first time mistakes I should watch out for???

A lot of people will tell you that autolysis will happen with a lager when lagering on a yeast cake.....

I wouldn't worry about autolysis, but I would do a secondary anyways for 2 reasons, it will result in a cleaner beer, and you can reuse the yeast then.

There is really no reason to keep it on the original yeast cake. As with letting it sit with an ale, it's going to clean up when left on the cake. But when lagering, the yeast goes dorment and settles to the bottom. It's not activley working, so there is no benifit for leaving it on the cake.

If you got a secondary, I'd suggest using it, you'll be happy about it. Also, I would recomend a diactyl rest depending on your pitch temp....

I give mine plenty of time in the primary. I'll let the krausen completely fall which runs about two weeks, then I'll rack and lager. You defianlty want to get out of the primary maximum results.

Back