New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best bitter, no finings. Loving BS3, but last night it nuked itself and crashed. I was in the process of moving all my bitter recipes to a new folder and....they went off to valhalla, so re-composing from notes. Probably not the worst thing since I'm rethinking the approach anyway. 82.4% Simpson's Golden Promise, 6.1% Invert 2 and 3.1% invert 3, 4.6% torrified wheat, 3.8% Crystal 77. .55 oz Challenger in the 90-minute boil, 2.00 oz EKG at 10 min., 1.67 oz Bramling Cross at 5 min., .5 oz each in the dry hopping. OG 1.046, abv 4.9%.

Cool thing about pouring a wimpy 12 oz. bottle in a proper British pint, is it encourages you to grab another midway through to fill the bleedin' thing. :bigmug:

1705191438697.jpeg

My very first homebrew. All grain dry stout that I substituted chocolate wheat into because my LHBS lacked pale chocolate malt. Ended up tasting more like a cross between a dunkelweizen and an Irish stout, and due to higher efficiency I hit more like an extra stout at 5.3% ABV . Overall very happy and thanks again to everyone in here who helped.

A beautiful looking dark beer.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
My bad. I do 10 gallons to the kegs...

Cheers!
Have you done a cost analysis to see how much you are saving brewing your own Hazy's vs buying from local breweries?
Most tragic restaurant chain in history. They would be great if they just did things right. As it is, it's Bizarro Ghetto Chick-fil-A.
More and likely you haven't been to a Popeye's in Louisiana. Them red beans and rice hit different in LA

My very first homebrew. All grain dry stout that I substituted chocolate wheat into because my LHBS lacked pale chocolate malt. Ended up tasting more like a cross between a dunkelweizen and an Irish stout, and due to higher efficiency I hit more like an extra stout at 5.3% ABV . Overall very happy and thanks again to everyone in here who helped.

A beautiful looking dark beer.
A really nice looking beer. But be aware, you will never escape the rabbit hole you've fallen into.

Have you done a cost analysis to see how much you are saving brewing your own Hazy's vs buying from local breweries?

I've never actually analyzed the cost of home brewing, it's not a concern as I do it for the fun.
It'd certainly take some work to determine if I've even amortized all the gear.
Just like I've never analyzed the cost of catching fish while on my boat :)

Cheers!

I've never actually analyzed the cost of home brewing, it's not a concern as I do it for the fun.
It'd certainly take some work to determine if I've even amortized all the gear.
Just like I've never analyzed the cost of catching fish while on my boat :)

Cheers!
Or meat hunting northwoods deer or western elk. Gone are the days when we can justify ancient traditions by economic need, I'm afraid...

I had a Moto Guzzi bike with a chromed shift linkage. The chrome came off.

I could have had it rechromed or bought a new part. Having machine tools, I decided I should make a new one from stainless.

I found out how difficult and expensive it was to do this on an old American lathe that was not built to do metric threads. I could have bought a couple of dies and threaded it that way.

I ended up buying a new 16 x 40 Taiwanese lathe which weighs two tons. It does all sorts of threads.

I never made the new part. I put the old one back on the bike without fixing it.

The lathe has been a blast, though.

That's a Precision Matthews mill, imported by a guy named...Matt. Funny thing to name the company. I bought a mill from him. Had some problems with him, so I would not use him again. I switched to Eisen Machinery. They were fantastic.

I have one tool you might like. Some guy's cabinet company died, and he had to sell his Powermatic 66, with a Biesemeyer fence which is something like 8 feet long. Came with about 10 Corian blades. I got it for $500. I actually feel bad about that.

I have never really needed that long fence, and I should cut it down, but it's so cool...

My dad had a table saw for which he designed an extension and fitted it with a Biesemeyer fence.
He used it for cabinetry. It looks identical to this - and it's now set up in my youngest son's house.
It does seem like a long fence but if you're cutting panels it couldn't be much shorter...

1705439925440.png

Cheers!

Now much further along in lagering, I give the dunkel a short life expectancy. Doing my best to replicate a Hladinka on my new side pull faucet. Pretty happy with the results!

Attachments

• A65602BB-434C-4A1C-92DA-F461FE909A16.jpeg
    A65602BB-434C-4A1C-92DA-F461FE909A16.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just slightly over carbonated hazy ipa. Based off the recipe treehouse posted on YouTube. Citra simcoe amarillo. It's delicious, but would repeat with a higher dry hopping rate than I went for. 2oz each cryo and im still itching for ... more lol.

Attachments

• 20240117_184226.jpg
    20240117_184226.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Just slightly over carbonated hazy ipa. Based off the recipe treehouse posted on YouTube. Citra simcoe amarillo. It's delicious, but would repeat with a higher dry hopping rate than I went for. 2oz each cryo and im still itching for ... more lol.
IME 8-9oz is the sweet spot for a 5g batch as long as contact times are kept low, though you lose a lot of volume. I'll have to share a picture of my fermenter after my recent IPA batch with 8oz in the whirlpool and 6 in the dry hop, it's about half full of green matter.

But anyway, that hazy looks absolutely stellar.

Slightly larger WC IIPA sample today. This stuff is properly fantastic, carbonation more on point today (turns out I was out of kegerator gas).

No idea if it's going clear but I don't care. It'll probably get kicked before it does given how good it is.

PXL-20240118-154735706-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

Big (9.2%) WCIPA again. This is pretty much at it's zenith now.

My solitary complaint is that the particular batch of Mosaic I had is a bit too mango forward which detracts from the dank/orange/pine ever so slightly but not exactly something I can control.

PXL-20240125-144306338-PORTRAIT.jpg

Gave it the "MAC" treatment.

Mosaic Cryo
Amarillo Cryo
Centennial Cryo

Big (9.2%) WCIPA again. This is pretty much at it's zenith now.

My solitary complaint is that the particular batch of Mosaic I had is a bit too mango forward which detracts from the dank/orange/pine ever so slightly but not exactly something I can control.

PXL-20240125-144306338-PORTRAIT.jpg

Gave it the "MAC" treatment.

Mosaic Cryo
Amarillo Cryo
Centennial Cryo
This looks tasty

Back