New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morebeer's 'Lager at Worlds End'

My buddy drinking the same. Had to include bc of the Point Special glass
View attachment 835597
and a Vienna Style Lager. I think my LHBS either forgot the C 60 or the roasted barley. Still turned out great and still trying to drop clear at the 4 week mark.
Point! College buddies from Milwaukee turned me on to it. It seems to have a flavor similar to Goldstar beer from Israel. Wish I knew which ingredient produced that flavor. Maybe not the finest beers made, but worth copying for a trip down memory lane.

I feel like I breached HBT etiquette by posting homebrew shots in the "What are you drinking now?" thread, so I'm starting over here. Seems like no one else is putting homebrew shots in there.

Happy Halfwit fake Belgian ale, which Beersmith thinks is at 8.6% ABV. What could be more Christmasy than a heavy, sweet, fake Belgian ale?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm going to use this as a base and work up a dark, raisiny ale for next Christmas.

23 12 24 Happy Halfwith Ale in Tulip small.jpg

I feel like I breached HBT etiquette by posting homebrew shots in the "What are you drinking now?" thread, so I'm starting over here. Seems like no one else is putting homebrew shots in there.

Happy Halfwit fake Belgian ale, which Beersmith thinks is at 8.6% ABV. What could be more Christmasy than a heavy, sweet, fake Belgian ale?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm going to use this as a base and work up a dark, raisiny ale for next Christmas.

View attachment 837413
Posting homebrew in the “what are you drinking now thread” is appropriate and it’s also appropriate here. That’s said, this thread is only for hb where as in “what are you drinking” it can be anything

I normally post a picture of my Belgian Quad with Christmas Story playing in the background, but this year i managed to leave my cell phone at my parents house so you guys use your imagination as i am drinking a fine HB Belgian Quad while Ralphie opens his secret decoder pen!

Does anyone else recognize the voice on the radio as Rush Limbaugh or am i crazy?

I normally post a picture of my Belgian Quad with Christmas Story playing in the background, but this year i managed to leave my cell phone at my parents house so you guys use your imagination as i am drinking a fine HB Belgian Quad while Ralphie opens his secret decoder pen!

Does anyone else recognize the voice on the radio as Rush Limbaugh or am i crazy?
Is the radio actually on?

lol! It's all true - who doesn't like chocolate? Especially with the nitro pour it does attract attention and when folks taste it it's game ovah ;)
Anyway, I've posted the recipe a few times but can never seem to find it when asked again, so here's another posting.

I brew ten gallons to the kegs but this is a five gallon version.

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley (got to have some roast!)
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade pellets, 15-20 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil
Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a pair of scraped, chopped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the mid-upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible! If so only carbonate to ~1.2 volumes to avoid a foamy chocolate mess.

Cheers!
Just to solidify my brew. Your 5 gallon post boil batch. What efficiency is this? 70%? So I can scale up to my 7.25g batch final. Ordering grain tomorrow for a brew day 2 weeks out!!!

I've done 16 batches and checked a few batch stats including the latest one. BS3 Measured Mash Efficiency averaged 79.2%, and the Measured Brew House Efficiency average was 73.6%.

Cheers!

Getting to the last of my Galaxy neipa, this was kegged in mid June! Still delicious, remarkable legs.

20231228_184647.jpg

This used to be in my regular rotation (this was the 7th batch, and used 2021 hops) but with all the crappy Galaxy hops the last couple of years I don't know when I might brew this again...

Cheers!

This one is interesting. I can see how hibiscus would be a good flavoring to go with beer and raspberry. Gives me nightmares, unfortunately.

That itself is interesting, as hibiscus teas are generally considered as relaxing and sleep promoting. I don't really get any effects either way, I just enjoy the pleasant tartness layered atop the raspberries. And the color...

Cheers!

Another Happy Halfwit ale. Fake Belgian at around 8.6%. Totally in love with this one.

Thanks, everyone, for making this a great year of brewing. I started in '01. Kept going until '07. Got a bunch of infections and quit. Started up again almost exactly one year ago. Now I have three freezers, bunch of Torpedo kegs, 6 brews currently available, ingredients for several more, and a number of original recipes I am thrilled with. I would never have gotten this far without your help. Hope you all have a fantastic new year.

Attachments

• 23 12 31 happy halfwit on kitchen table small.jpg
    23 12 31 happy halfwit on kitchen table small.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 0
That itself is interesting, as hibiscus teas are generally considered as relaxing and sleep promoting. I don't really get any effects either way, I just enjoy the pleasant tartness layered atop the raspberries. And the color...

Cheers!
I tried hibiscus tea for some reason or other. It was supposed to be healthy. Started having nightmares right away, and they stopped when I quit.
Not as bad as the hell nightmares I had while taking Levaquin. Very strange. My head would hit the pillow, I would fall asleep, and instantly, I was in a sort of hell. Just violence and terror.

Everybody's nervous system is different, I guess.

Gorgeous! I’m a big fan of dark lagers. Just brewed a Czech Dark Lager this morning, already worried about my patients lagering it!

Any idea what your estimated SRM was?
Thanks! Czech dark lager is such a great style. Looking forward to seeing your finished beer!

My calculator estimates around 25 SRM for the dunkel.

I have never had weisse with syrup, but it sounded interesting to me. I figured it would work with wit as well. My rural Publix doesn't carry exotic raspberry syrup, so I decided to try grenadine to see if the general idea worked. I present Wheat Privilege Ale with grenadine. It's really good, so I am going to look around the web for whatever raspberry syrup is commonly used in weisse.

24 01 09 wheat privilege ale with grenadine small.jpg

I tried hibiscus tea for some reason or other. It was supposed to be healthy. Started having nightmares right away, and they stopped when I quit.
Not as bad as the hell nightmares I had while taking Levaquin. Very strange. My head would hit the pillow, I would fall asleep, and instantly, I was in a sort of hell. Just violence and terror.

Everybody's nervous system is different, I guess.
For what it's worth I have PTSD and nightly, violent nightmares that unfortunately I physicalize. For years I was getting 2-3 hours sleep, common among those with this (who the hell wants to go to sleep?).

Many things contributing, but I will say Prazosin has done a pretty good job for the most part. I get a break every now and then and the intensity of the violence or terror is blunted, some, generally.

IMG_20240112_161958.jpg

Enjoying a simple oatmeal Stout made with pale ale, chocolate & roasted barley malts and some EKG after an afternoon of yardwork.

It's bottle conditioned for 2 weeks but at a fairly low temperature (I live in a stone walled cabin, not ideal for temperature control) so the head retention is not very well developed yet. Still delicious though!

View attachment 838840

Enjoying a simple oatmeal Stout made with pale ale, chocolate & roasted barley malts and some EKG after an afternoon of yardwork.

It's bottle conditioned for 2 weeks but at a fairly low temperature (I live in a stone walled cabin, not ideal for temperature control) so the head retention is not very well developed yet. Still delicious though!
Beautiful and a perfect pour it seems to me this time of year. Just bottled one up myself a few days ago, conditioning now. From what I can tell in the photo's background, an equally beautiful place to sip it in. 👍

HB pressure fermented doppelbock. This is now getting very good indeed.

I'm going to have to either exercise some self control or pull off a gallon or so to store in a mini keg if I want to see how this evolves over the next few months because it's far more crushable than an 8.4% beer at 1.020 FG has any right to be.

PXL-20240112-173356162-PORTRAIT.jpg

Back