New job, I need medical insurance guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad67z

Reaction score
I have been interviewing like mad the past 8-10 months and have finally found 2 positions that are a good fit for me. I have an offer on the table for one and should have the other offer early next week.

One of the employers does not provide medical/dental insurance. At this time they pay a negotiated amount per pay period to each employee for you to purchase your own. I have a wife (stay @ home mom) and son (12 yrs) that are currently on my existing Anthem Blue Cross thru my current employer.

I'm looking for any help I can get on where or who to contact.

I know this doesn't help you out any right now but if you can somehow get through the end of the with with what you have beginning Jan. 1, 2014 all employers with 50+ employees will have to offer health insurance.

cody6173 said:
I know this doesn't help you out any right now but if you can somehow get through the end of the with with what you have beginning Jan. 1, 2014 all employers with 50+ employees will have to offer health insurance.

Or else pay a "tax"

Congrats on the new job offers! :)

I kinda know jack squat about insurance. I'd be more likely to take the job with the insurance, though, especially if you or your family members have a lot of doctor trips. (I have a little girl with asthma, and she's seen the doc more in the last 6 months than I have in the last couple years, haha).

Or, if you have one of those awesome blue cross plans that are no longer offered (which is what my daughter has), then I'd look hard at keeping that one, so long as the stipend covers all/most of the monthly premiums. I would definitely call blue cross, and ask them if you've got one of the "grandfathered" plans that are no longer available. When my wife and newborn daughter got insurance last year, we kept the 8yr old on her own plan, because the new plans are not nearly as good as the old one. She just pays a certain copay for stuff, and then the rest of it is covered 100% or something awesome like that. If we moved her to the new plan, she'd still pay a copay (I think) and then have to meet a deductible before the insurance would pay.

Latest posts

Back