Neurotic New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jshine42

Reaction score
I was wondering on a few things. I started brewing last week and for the first 3-4 days my airlock was going nuts.. but now nothing is happening on the airlock. I did go out of town so the temperature might have crawled up to 70 to 71 degrees where I was fermenting.

So my question is did I ruin my beer?

I keep reading that it's still supposed to bubble but I haven't heard or seen anything out of it for a bit now.

Airlock activity is no indicator of fermentation...so don't worry. It is also possible that a majority of fermentation is complete. Just wait a few more weeks and let the yeast clean up. Then take a gravity reading every few days to ensure it's done.

I was wondering on a few things. I started brewing last week and for the first 3-4 days my airlock was going nuts.. but now nothing is happening on the airlock. I did go out of town so the temperature might have crawled up to 70 to 71 degrees where I was fermenting.

So my question is did I ruin my beer?

I keep reading that it's still supposed to bubble but I haven't heard or seen anything out of it for a bit now.

That is what you expect. The bulk fermentation took place and you saw a lot of co2 blowing out of the airlock. Just leave the bucket alone and in a few weeks take a sample. If it is down to your final gravity, get ready to bottle.

The airlock will stop going nuts after a few days this is normal because the bulk of fermantation is over, that does not mean that fermentation has stopped. Your beer is fine, the temp on the other hand depends on what yeast and style of beer you are doing but if this is your first brew I would bet you are doing an ale or something with ale yeast and 70 deg is nothing to worry about. As said above let it sit and take gravity readings to make sure it is done fermenting. Dont stress the beer will be fine.

Usually the active fermentation is over within 7-10 days. The rest of the time the yeast are working to clean up after themselves (removing compounds that they created that cause off flavors) I always have left my brews in primary 4 weeks, with the same pattern: first week or so regular bubbles, then little to none. Leave it alone. The yeast have been making beer waaay longe than you have. They know what they're doing.

Thank you all For aleaving my fears. A lot of first batch unknowns at this point for me. Looking foward to my home brew!

Back