Need recipe idea for an experiment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewHandicapper

...likes to drink and gamble
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being somewhat new to all grain (dozen or so batches) I thought it would be fun to try a little experiment. 2 batches, exact same recipe, only mashed at two separate ends of the temperature spectrum. Maybe a 145 and a 156 or something. I would just like to see how much you can change the feel of a beer with temperature alone. Anyway, I am looking for ideas for a recipe. One that won't suck on either end. Any ideas would be appreciated and/or thoughts on the subject. Thanks

I'd pick a smash recipe to keep things relatively simple. If you pick a pretty boring pair, it'll help highlight the difference in the mashing.

Good idea - keeping it simple. I've been wanting to try that Northwest Pale Malt. Maybe that with one of the C hops. I would still like the finished beers to be considered good so any smash recipe suggestions would also be appreciated although I know a simple search would solve that problem. Thanks

Keep the hops low to really feel the difference in mashing. EKG is always good on its own, Cascade not bad either. If you go for an OG of 1.050, maybe aim for 35-40IBU. Or you can go for any neutral cheapish hop that is fairly pleasant, like Nugget, Marynka or Atlas.

Latest posts

Back