need New ball lock pins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerkhezu

Reaction score
(PICTURES BELOW OF KEG) I purchased a used ball lock pin from a local shop that was sold as is (missing the inlet post and tube but still had the threading) my question is, I see a few things online. One, a pin to ball conversion kit. Two, single posts. Our three, a two pack both in and out. Can I buy the conversion kit or are the threads different? The single posts are like $12 a pop and I want to replace both. And the two packs consern me for threading differences. Do all kegs have the same threading sizes? What sould I buy? I'd there any places I should stay away from? Is the gas inlet tube needed or necessary?

20150315_110929.jpg

20150315_110912.jpg

That's a Cornelius Super Champion ball lock keg. No "pin" involved. It's a very common BALL LOCK keg.

You need a gas post and a gas stainless dip tube. Different styles of kegs have different size parts. Here's what you own:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Used-Cornelius-Gas-Keg-Post-1932-18_p_4086.html

Dip tube:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Gas-dip-tube_p_2852.html

You'll need replacement gaskets and poppets. Luckily, there's available options to choose.

This is probably the cheapest place around. Cheers!

Edit: There's probably nothing wrong with the other post. I'd replace the poppit though. Replace the 5 gaskets, and you'll basically have a new keg!

Of course, the prv could also leak. They're about $12 a piece...

Thank you very much. I was planning on just replacing both pins and probably the lid as well. The other post has seen better days along with the lid

Thank you very much. I was planning on just replacing both pins and probably the lid as well. The other post has seen better days along with the lid

Again... it's a BALL LOCK keg. :) What nonexistent pins are you replacing?!!! Don't go buying pin lock stuff, or you're going to be very disappointed...

The other post looks fine. Replace the poppit for good measure.

The lid looks fine. Check the prv.

Posts and lids are pretty damn durable. Gaskets need to be changed occasionally. Dip tubes almost never go bad.

If you can't help yourself, and have to replace the out post and lid... pm me and I'll be more than happy to buy them from you. I'll replace the gaskets and prv and use them myself! I'm serious!

My apologies, I'm used to calling posts, pins due to my current employer.

Ok. Don't buy any conversion kits that you mentioned before. I gave you links to exactly what you need. The page even has the exact specs for the post... and the needed accessories. You'll also need a stainless gas dip tube.

Either buy them from there, anywhere else on the internet, or take the info to a local brew shop and get what you need.

It's a very common keg, and you should have no problem getting parts.

:mug:

What you are describing as "pins" are called "posts". A ball lock has balls in the disconnect that lock into a groove on the post. There are also pin lock posts that have pins sticking out that the disconnect locks onto to keep it in place.

I don't know exactly which post you need but you will need the dip tube also.

What you DO NOT want is a pin lock post.

Back