Need help with propane regulator..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
My regulator keeps freezing up while brewing. I tried keeping a wet wash cloth on it and that freezes up as well. Also I tried to keep it elevated above the nozzle and that still wouldn't help. It freezes up so bad it shuts down the burn. What can I do? What regulator do you recommend?

Ok, so not too likely liquid fuel is getting into the regulator. Some cooling will occur when the pressure drops but without the phase change it shouldn't be enough to ice the regulator. What is the ambient temp when the icing occurs?

Hmmm. I have the regulators that came with my burners. One is a turkey fryer from Lowe's. The other is a portable stock-pot burner from a restaurant supply store. Neither have ever iced. Do you run it with the tank valve wide-open and use the regulator to adjust the flame size?

I run them both fully open. Mine is a turkey fryer.

I don't think I've ever had a regulator freeze up, a tank yes although I have not seen it in 85 degree temps usually in winter with it running on high.

It could just be a problem with the regulator itself, having a bigger pressure drop and causing it to ice up. Does it only do it on high?

Latest posts

Back