Need Guidance with Setting up Power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdug619

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be an easy confirmation question but after looking at the wiring for the idea I had, i don't think it can be done.

My plan was to replace the 30amp breaker for my A/C in my main with a 30 amp GFCI. Then run wires off the box next to the unit outside to an enclosed 4-prong. (Well me having an electrician do it)
Knowing I obviously can't run the A/C at the same time when brewing.

After looking at the box outside, I only see 3 wires coming out. Light grey is coming from main panel. I am assuming two hot wires and a ground. So I don't think my plan would work.

I live in a manufactured home and the main panel is only 100amp. I think there is enough room to add another breaker if I needed to. Is that my only option? Add a 30amp GFCI and run new wire. Or is there a way to leverage what I already have in place?

Thanks in advance. I have a 15 gallon custom setup from Spike. (not the one they just released but nearly identical after we went bank and forth on a design) and BCS panel from Ebrew Supply dying to be used. :)

main.jpg

outsidebox.jpg

Older 240v is 2 hots and a ground, no neutral.
You have the capacity, so I think you are better off installing a standard 30amp breaker in the panel feeding a spa disconnect with GFCI. Have you priced out a panel mounted GFCI breaker? Spa panels are 1/2 or 1/3 the price.

How do you know he has the capacity? It's a 100A panel, so adding another 30 isn't inconsequential. I don't see an empty breaker slot, and besides that is often not enough. To fit code (and I know we often overlook it, because it's there for a reason) the panel may need to be upgraded.

There's unused breaker slots visible at the bottom of the panel in the picture he posted.
The only 240v appliance labeled is the a/c.
Of course, he should verify with an electrician, but from what I see, he should be set.

If you add up the breakers there is he well over 100A already.

OP: you certainly can replace that 30A GFCI and make sure to run only the brew rig or AC at once. Might be judicial to make sure you dont crest that 100A limit though, dont run the washer, dishwasher or microwave when brewing.

If you add up the breakers there is he well over 100A already.

Pretty much every house is like that and it is well withing the norms and there are no codes against.even his AC likely only pulls the max amperage for about 5-10 seconds during compressor start-up.

That is an actually halfway decent panel with very available breakers. I would just pull the cover and see if there are slots left...it is not a given. My 100 Amp panel has over 20 knock-outs for breakers but only 14 spaces. Even if you are out of spaces, the strategically chosen half-size breakers frees up the space required.

Whenever possible, it is nicer to run a separate 30/50 amp circuit. The materials cost are usually reasonable but the labor are amount of crap to you to rip apart and repair after are often the limiting factors.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I pulled off the cover to show what is available. So it appears I can add the 30amp breaker, run wire under the house (thankfully I have easy crawlspace) and come out the other side where I need it hooking into a 50amp spa panel and then wiring that to 4 prong outlet? Caveat being not running the A/C. But that would be assuming I had everything else running in the house at the same time.

mainbig.jpg

mainclose.jpg

Back