My wife is pissed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She texted and said, "On my way." (on her way home from work)
I texted back and said, "I'm at the Icehouse with Brady."
We had just started a game of partners 8 ball with a couple of cigar smoking dudes from Indianapolis. I was playing particularly well, had sunk the 8 ball last 3 games, and was delivering consistent powerful breaks.
My phone rang. She was floccing PISSED! No dinner cooked, dogs hadn't been let out, and I better get my ass home and call her.
I gave my cue and the beer I'd just opened to a kid that had just turned 21 and in my best tough guy impression explained that I had to cut out.
Got home and my biggest dog had pissed on the dog bed. It soaked clear through to the rug, dripped piss as I carried it to the back door and threw it on the deck.
Jumped in the shower to wash the cigarette smell off me, got out and put away a few dishes.
When she walked in I braced myself, but she hugged me and apologized for yelling at me and told me she was pissed about something else.
I could have finished that beer and won another game...

No, no you couldn't, you standing there ready to be hugged was the fix to her Schmidty day!

You're close. I've been married almost 30 years and I've almost figured this stuff out.

A woman wants to tell you her problems, and have you listen and agree with whatever solution she came up with. This involves shaking your head in an affirmative manner and repeatedly muttering, 'You're right'. No other response is required. Any other response puts you in grave danger of becoming the new problem.

If you don't participate in the conversation, then you're not listening, you don't care, and you immediately become the new problem.

Don't attempt to inject logic into the conversation or you immediately become the new problem.

Under no circumstances should you ever say 'Is this really that big of deal?' or you immediately become the new problem, and should probably get ready to duck because some airborne object is undoubtedly heading your way. I know this from experience. A pissed of woman will use anything as a projectile. I have a scar on my face from a potato masher my sister threw at me. I didn't even see it coming.

:D :D :D

Exactly!!!!

Hey my wife told me to go by the brew store on my way home today so I could squeeze a batch in before Christmas! God I love that woman, did I mention the store was 20min the opposite direction of home?

Ya but she didn't tell you the UPS guy was parked in your diveway.

You're close. I've been married almost 30 years and I've almost figured this stuff out.

A woman wants to tell you her problems, and have you listen and agree with whatever solution she came up with. This involves shaking your head in an affirmative manner and repeatedly muttering, 'You're right'. No other response is required. Any other response puts you in grave danger of becoming the new problem.

If you don't participate in the conversation, then you're not listening, you don't care, and you immediately become the new problem.

Don't attempt to inject logic into the conversation or you immediately become the new problem.

Under no circumstances should you ever say 'Is this really that big of deal?' or you immediately become the new problem, and should probably get ready to duck because some airborne object is undoubtedly heading your way. I know this from experience. A pissed of woman will use anything as a projectile. I have a scar on my face from a potato masher my sister threw at me. I didn't even see it coming.

:D :D :D

All true. you dont even need to remember any of this stuff afterward, just pretend to listen. Don't for any reason attempt to solve anything. Just fake some sincerity and when the storm blows over, move on.

We just had our first kid a few weeks ago so we were supposed to have a "mellow" Christmas but my wife still invited all her family over tonight and is busy in the kitchen. I on the other hand am drinking beer in the garage and will "entertain" her brothers out here when they arrive. The mother in law is all over the baby so I am off the hook, not too bad!

Also went for a mountain bike ride a little bit ago and filled my propane tanks for brewing tomorrow.

Our UPS guy is a gal! I wold only be upset if there weren't photos!

Let me help you with that.

Epic_Picture_Meme_thread_-_Page_3_-_Home_Brew_Forums_-_2015-12-20_00.29.21_zpsitqvv18a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We just had our first kid a few weeks ago so we were supposed to have a "mellow" Christmas but my wife still invited all her family over tonight and is busy in the kitchen. I on the other hand am drinking beer in the garage and will "entertain" her brothers out here when they arrive. The mother in law is all over the baby so I am off the hook, not too bad!

Also went for a mountain bike ride a little bit ago and filled my propane tanks for brewing tomorrow.

Mountain bikes are good for the soul.

Congrats on the new addition to the family.

My wife has been remarkably cool about my brewing. No complaining about the money spent or space occupied. I can’t think of a single argument or fight that has happened because of it. In fact, I can’t even think of a single negative comment I’ve heard her say (“don’t you have enough beer already?????,” etc.)

And I’m intent on keeping it that way. Having your wife at war with your hobbies SUCKS. One thing I learned from my first marriage is that once a woman starts down a path of being irritated with one of your hobbies, then she tends to focus on being irritated about it. Over time, this leads to the perception of her being “unreasonable,” and in fact, she probably is being unreasonable. The problem is, her irritation doesn’t just go away, it stays in a bank and accumulates. Eventually, the topic becomes touchy, and she reaches a point where, for example, your taking 10 minutes to pull and check a gravity sample is cause for her to get into a huff. Then, you get angry at her for being so “unreasonable,” say a bunch of things out of frustration, and the process repeats.

I’ve found a few basic guidelines do the trick:

- Making sure I properly clean up – and that includes empty bottles not piling up on the side of the counter (it’s easy for guys to complain about women nagging, but I wouldn’t be happy if my wife’s dog grooming were always leaving a big mess, so I understand the importance of this part. She cleans up, and so do I.)
- Demonstrating that I am giving consideration to what she likes by making sure there is always a stout available for her to drink (I like stouts too, so win/win)
- Selecting the time slots for brewing tasks based on common sense and courtesy. For example, if it’s 2 days before the annual family BBQ or Christmas gathering, there are probably 25 chores/errands that need to be done and it’s probably not a good idea to fire up the kettle.

Regarding the last point, I’ve got my process down to the point where I can bang out a brew day on a week night, which has been immensely helpful, because it means that any day of the week can be a candidate, as opposed to me being forced to strictly rely upon weekend time which has too many things competing for it.

Sorry to continue a frankenthread, but my wife bought me my first kit for our anniversary. So anything brewing-related is really her fault and she should have realized this before she got me into this hobby.

Latest posts

Back