My neighbor just crashed his car into my house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stikks

Reaction score
About an hour ago it happened.I`ve never dealt with this before.
I`m wondering if anybody has experience with this,as to how to
deal with it.The guy lives down the street and the cops took him
away.I was in bed but now I`m having a homebrew.Any thoughts
or advice appreciated.

:(

You will have to find out his insurance info somehow to get the damage repaired. If he is uninsured then your homeowners insurance should cover it.
The police will know his carrier or lack thereof.

It was a company vehicle and it was towed right away.The guy took off and the
cops got him down the street.Would the cops have his insurance info?
thanks for the reply

Sorry just read you post again,just a little rattled right now.Will go
to P.D. in the morning.-thanks-

It was a company vehicle and it was towed right away.The guy took off and the
cops got him down the street.Would the cops have his insurance info?
thanks for the reply

Wow. Crash your car into your neighbor's house and hope he can't remember which house you live in? That's one the stupidest things I've heard today.

How bad was the damage? Also, are you sure you're not located in Texas?

He took out a corner of my spare bedroom and a few bushes.The guy was lucky
he didn`t hit about 8 feet left.I have a dresser with 10 cases of homebrew in
bottles that will be ready for the fridge in about 2 to 3 weeks.There were no
injuries,but if those ten cases would have gotten smashed,I wouldn`t be
quite as calm right now.

stikks said:
He took out a corner of my spare bedroom and a few bushes.The guy was lucky
he didn`t hit about 8 feet left.I have a dresser with 10 cases of homebrew in
bottles that will be ready for the fridge in about 2 to 3 weeks.There were no
injuries,but if those ten cases would have gotten smashed,I wouldn`t be
quite as calm right now.

Ahh ok... I thought maybe one of your children were sleeping there or something ;)
Save Our Suds

Had a similar problem back in February. Dumb ass left the road and took out our landscaping and fence just missing our house. We could not get estimates for landscaping because of the weather, and their agent(Farmers) was the laziest POS that I have ever had to deal with.

Bottom line is that we are just now getting the repairs scheduled.

Good luck and try to be patient, but if their insurance tries to drag feet, get belligerent and start escalating the issue. Being that it was a company car, I would get their employer involved ASAP in getting a resolution in process.

Call your insurer. They'll arrange for someone to board up the damage in the short term and then bring in a contractor to repair the damage for real. Your insurer will pay for all of that, then they'll go after the neighbor's auto insurer and/or his employer's insurer to get reimbursed. You get to just sit back and let the insurers do all the dirty work.

Call your insurer. They'll arrange for someone to board up the damage in the short term and then bring in a contractor to repair the damage for real. Your insurer will pay for all of that, then they'll go after the neighbor's auto insurer and/or his employer's insurer to get reimbursed. You get to just sit back and let the insurers do all the dirty work.

Yup your home owners insurance should cover it BUT make sure they go after him in the long run. No reason you or your insurance should have to eat the cost of this dumb arse's retardedness

Good luck and try to be patient, but if their insurance tries to drag feet, get belligerent and start escalating the issue. Being that it was a company car, I would get their employer involved ASAP in getting a resolution in process.

Get the employer involved while he's still employed, which is probably about... oh, another hour and a half?

I don't think I'm going out on a limb guessing this guy was drunk. Drunk-driving a company car into a house, then leaving the scene of the accident... yeah. That dude had a bad night last night, but his morning in the HR department is going to be a WHOLE lot worse.

Worry about yourself. That guy is in fo a sht storm of a bad day!

Your insurance will get money from that guy's insurance. If it's a company car he will have insurance.

Oh and... What an idiot!

How bad was the damage?

I'm sorry to hear your house got hit. I hope the best for your insurance claim.

The guy got bailed out last night for $300.He just stopped by and said sorry,The
bad thing about it is he is a decent guy.He was drunk and only remembers the airbag
going off.He said he`ll pay my $500 homeowners deductible.I just hope my ins. co.
will give me a fair price for the damage.Damage wasn`t extensive but it will take a few
bucks to get it fixed.Any thoughts?

wreck 003.jpg

wreck 006.jpg

wreck 015.jpg

wreck 008.jpg

wreck 009.jpg

Here`s a couple more.Nobody was in the room,this is what I was worried about.
Might have had to go to small claims for that :D.He missed it by about 5' after
looking at it closer.Me and the guy are ok,no bad blood.He is in a world of crap
though with 12 tickets and uninsured (ouch).

Cheers

wreck 2 001.jpg

wreck 2 002.jpg

The guy got bailed out last night for $300.He just stopped by and said sorry,The
bad thing about it is he is a decent guy.He was drunk and only remembers the airbag
going off.He said he`ll pay my $500 homeowners deductible.I just hope my ins. co.
will give me a fair price for the damage.Damage wasn`t extensive but it will take a few
bucks to get it fixed.Any thoughts?

Don't take the money from him. His insurance should pay for it. Call the company that he works for if he was in a company car, they really should be handling this.

Here`s a couple more.Nobody was in the room,this is what I was worried about.
Might have had to go to small claims for that :D.He missed it by about 5' after
looking at it closer.Me and the guy are ok,no bad blood.He is in a world of crap
though with 12 tickets and uninsured (ouch).

Cheers

Then what was he doing driving a company car? don't agree to take the 500 dollars from him, turn it over to your insurance and let them handle it. They will get everything back from the employer and their insurer, and/or the guy.

Most likely your Ins company will get it from his employers’ insurance, who will get it from him.

Also something like this happened to a relative of mine. Make damn sure the contractor that comes out checks for foundation/structural damage. My relative had to have extensive work done because of something like this.

So he has 12 tickets, he is uninsured, and on at least 1 occassion he has driven drunk in a car that he does not own. I'd say that giving this guy a break would irresponsible, actually. Sounds like the kind of guy who needs consequences to take him off the road...

The adjuster will be here in about 2 hours.Should I just let him handle it?
Like I said earlier I have no experience with this and have been paying ins.
for about 30 years.I`m sure the truck was insured by the business but
he never produced proof of ins, to the cops last night.Also he is begging me
to not call his company.Would that make a difference?

thanks guys

What - what am I missing?

If he pays your $500 deductible, as long as you don't sign a release or anything that clearly says he's off the the hook, then he's not off the hook for anything. sure, in the end, you'll probably get the deductible back when/if your insurer claims against his insurer, but you'll be out $500 until then.

Tell your insurer that the guy wants to pay the decuctible and then do whatever they say as far as accepting/declining it.

That guys an idiot. I deal with repairing this kind of stuff all the time. I say stick it to him. I mean, he was driving a company car. Make the company pay for it. If thy can afford to give him a car they can afford to pay for your house.

Your doing the right thing if you call his company. Your doing the wrong thing if you don't.

2 cents

I'm thinking you most likely wont have to call his company... because the claims adjuster is going to. They are going to need to see the police report, and they will likely take it from there.

I would not want to be this guy, thats for sure. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasnt such a yutz.

Kmcogar said:
That guys an idiot. I deal with repairing this kind of stuff all the time. I say stick it to him. I mean, he was driving a company car. Make the company pay for it. If thy can afford to give him a car they can afford to pay for your house.

Your doing the right thing if you call his company. Your doing the wrong thing if you don't.

2 cents

+1. He doesn't want you calling his company and wants to pay your deductible so his company doesn't find out. Your insurance will go after him and his company. If you try to hide facts from them by not saying he was in a company car they will come after you.

He drank and drove so he gets to pay for it

Adjuster just left and said I shouldn`t do anything.They are going to go after the
owner of the vehicle and maybe the driver.There is a recovery guy here now tarping the house up.Adjuster said siding for 2 sides of house,1 whole inside wall replaced,a window
and corner post.I don`t think the driver has anything so am right assuming the owner
of the vehicle is going to end up paying?I`d love to do this work myself,I have been in
the trades 30 years.

stikks said:
Adjuster just left and said I shouldn`t do anything.They are going to go after the
owner of the vehicle and maybe the driver.There is a recovery guy here now tarping the house up.Adjuster said siding for 2 sides of house,1 whole inside wall replaced,a window
and corner post.I don`t think the driver has anything so am right assuming the owner
of the vehicle is going to end up paying?I`d love to do this work myself,I have been in
the trades 30 years.

More than likely the owner of the vehicle or their insurance will pay. They will then take the guy to court get anything he has and garnish his wages for the rest of his life

+1. He doesn't want you calling his company and wants to pay your deductible so his company doesn't find out. Your insurance will go after him and his company. If you try to hide facts from them by not saying he was in a company car they will come after you.

He drank and drove so he gets to pay for it

I have not hid anything and cop just dropped off motor vehicle report
with the name of the company.There is no way the company wont know,
the truck looked like it was totaled,and adjuster said they will contact
vehicle owner.

Yeah stikks, seriously there is no way the company is going to be left in the dark.

You are a better man than most to be concerned for that yutz's well-being.

This.

If this is a company car, they have to maintain liability insurance on it if required by law. If not required by law and they don't, they are probably as bad off as your neighbor.

I would not let your neighbor pay the deductible, he should pay for all the repairs. Making the claim on your homeowners policy is not going to do anything good for you (higher rates, etc.). You pay for the policy to protect you, not your drunk neighbor.

Lets also remember that this guy only offered to pay the deductable AFTER BEING CHASED DOWN BY POLICE.

His first plan was to disappear.

So does he have 12 tickets from the past, or did he rack up 12 in this incident alone.

DWI x 2, I am assuming he was probably over 0.16 which in most states counts as 2 DWIs
Wreckless Endangerment
Driving without Insurance?
Hit and Run
Evading arrest

Latest posts

Back