Quitting my job, family of 4. What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
This is such a great community, I figured I would reach out and see what you guys have to say.
I have been a GM for a major pizza chain for a decade. I've hit a wall and put in a notice, but have no other job lined up yet. I'm very good at my job. I simply don't enjoy any aspect of it any longer. I'm in Nashville, and the job market is solid. I'll be able to get something. But, I don't want to find a job, I want to find a career I will enjoy. Putting together an updated resume now, put I'm struggling to accumulate my selling points. In my previous efforts to find a new job, it was very difficult to find anyone that would take a "pizza guy" seriously. Honestly, it's a super hard job. Lots of time management, training and development, scheduling, budgeting. Not to mention the ridiculous hours.
I've done very well at my current job, doubling the sales of my current location to over $2M annually. I just don't agree with the culture of the company and its leadership any longer. Not to mention, I have two young children (1&6) that I am not seeing grow up. I've blown out my rotator cuff and have lower back issues as well.
I have confidence that I can manage any group of people assigned to me. I've been managing a staff of 40-60(yes, my store is that busy) for years and they were children and childish adults. Give me a team of people who care, are semi- knowledgable and invested and I'll make things happen. I have a few ideas as to what fields I want to get into but how do I get my foot in the door?
Background and experience:
14+ years of management, 10ish as a GM
8 of that was as a Training GM, where I developed others into higher positions.
Company loyal, I don't move around much.
Diploma in Audio Engineering, second in class (pre recession career)
Multiunit Management training
Very technical mind. I come from a family of EE, and would love to return to school for EE myself but feel it's not within reach
Self learner. I have taught myself various skills and software over the years. At 16(2000), I worked in a computer repair store. At 17, I designed a website for a state senators campaign. Self taught handman. I have rewired and added circuits to my house, framed, built decks, wired studios, built electronics(pedals and such), playground for the kids(my own design, not some boxes crap), work on my own cars.

Ideas/wantlist:
Audio/studio equipment repair or manufacturing (probably not the best $, but I would enjoy it)
Solar/renewable energy-not going anywhere, only getting bigger, well, maybe under the next administration.
I want a job that challenges me mentally with new problems to solve each day. I don't want groundhog day.
I don't mind travel, but don't want a road job.
I don't need a 9-5, but would love a M-F.
I need decent benefits out of the gate, have a family.
I don't want into food or retail. I'm done dealing with the general public on such a large scale. I'm done with the crazy hours, holidays, and slacker millennial employees.

Any advice or opinion here, aside from I'm stupid to do this? I'm not sure which direction to step in...
Thanks for any replies in advance. Please pardon me, grammar police. I just woke up and it's not my strong suit(wanna talk numbers?).

Concidering I am only a child still (25). I cant really help too much but this is super inspiring. Best of luck to you and your family but after reading this I feel that you will not need my luck. Hopefully the next company will see all your potential!

Whoa! That's a tough one. You're brave!
I guess you'll need to find something quickly or you'll end up in a worse position. Does your family still have income? Health insurance, etc.?

Your experience as a pizza man is not very useful outside the pizza business, but can be applied to any (fast) food service in general, but also to other industries. I'd say your GM and supervisory skills are the most marketable, since you have a long history with it and they are recent. You can find a job in that capacity, and not having to deal with low paid, low employment moral food service personnel and inherent large employee turnover.

Good luck in your search. Don't forget to think outside the box.

I don't have a lot of advice, but if you're interested in music, Nashville is a great place to be these days.
I would say to have a couple resumes ready to go - one emphasizing your managerial experience, (management is management, regardless of the industry) and another with the audio and electronic / construiction experience highlighted.
Use one or the other depending on what position you're looking at.

Background and experience:
14+ years of management, 10ish as a GM
8 of that was as a Training GM, where I developed others into higher positions.
Company loyal, I don't move around much.
Diploma in Audio Engineering, second in class (pre recession career)
Multiunit Management training
Very technical mind. I come from a family of EE, and would love to return to school for EE myself but feel it's not within reach
Self learner. I have taught myself various skills and software over the years. At 16(2000), I worked in a computer repair store. At 17, I designed a website for a state senators campaign. Self taught handman. I have rewired and added circuits to my house, framed, built decks, wired studios, built electronics(pedals and such), playground for the kids(my own design, not some boxes crap), work on my own cars.

First: If you're not on LinkedIn, create an account/profile. Look at other folks profiles to get a feel for what to include and how to describe yourself and the roles you've had. Start connecting with friends and build your network.

That said, based on your qualifications and background it sounds like you'd be a good fit for a role Digital Marketing.

I would look into marketing agencies in your area, and if it seems like there are entry level positions available (or even Project Manager roles), it may be worth your time to look into it further/reach out to folks in the field.

You can search for Google AdWords Training or AdWords Certification if you want to learn more about the "how and why" of things. And if any of these peaks your mind the training and certification tests are free, which would definitely help you get your foot in the door for an interview. This would be a good starting point: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6146252?hl=en&ref_topic=3119071,3181080,3126923,&visit_id=1-636258724543681975-4034269818&rd=1

Marketing aside, have you looked into SIR in Nashville? They do studio and instrument rentals. I only mention this given your audio degree. I have some friends who have worked there and really enjoyed it.

Regardless of what path you choose, best of luck!

Outside the box as IslandLizard thinks.....

You don't mention home brewing but I assume you are involved since you are an active HBT member with lots of posts.

When I think of Nashville I think of country music and BBQ. You are a sound engineer and know the food business. +2 already

Add into that enjoyment of brewing.

What about working toward getting some investors to start up a small beer pub (make beers onsite) selling bbq related bar food or even get a food truck involved. Maybe have an open mic stage so some upcoming singers play for exposure.

Thinking outside the box, but hey, Warren Buffett thinks outside the box.

Ok, I'll take a swing at this - background, I graduated Ariz. State. Univ. in Dec 1998, B.S. Electronic Engineering Tech (option in computer systems), took a job at Raytheon in Tucson doing production test support. 1 to 1.5 years in, decided I wanted to get into national security / intel work. Discovered jobs like wargaming, security analysis, etc...found out Raytheon Tucson had a dept. in that - boom - internal transfer to operations research / wargaming. Stayed there with the goal to move to the DC area (meeting my wife and starting a family along the way), got a master's in national security studies through tuition reimbursement with Raytheon through online schooling, and we finally made the move to MD Jan 2015 - I work at JHUAPL now, and loving it here.

My bachelors...hardly used it, but that B.S. is a credential that opens up so much more. Even the master's helped with JHUAPL, although me getting the job here was mostly due to past work experience at Raytheon. You obviously enjoy sound/music applications. Living in Nashville, what about starting with some networking with the recording studios, and, if you lean more towards the equipment, their suppliers? Start by looking for, not interviews, but conversations about getting into this industry. Explaining your interests and experience in the field (your diploma, relevant hobbies), and with your background in mgmt from the pizza chain, couch the conversation as how to crack into this area for a career. I'd think a place which would do tuition reimbursement would be great (that credential, again), but I don't know the sound industry at all. Just googling "nashville tennessee audio engineering", I see a huge cluster of studios right near Vanderbilt U. Might be a start for the fact-finding. Just my thoughts.

My bac

Have you considered taking some tests that indicate what job might best fit you? Any one of the multitude of colleges/universities in Nashville can probably help you in that area. Or read the book What Color is My Parachute?

Have you found a reputable professional recruiter/placement person? Good ones are paid by the employers, not employees. Sign any contract without any upfront fees...you don't pay if you don't take a job so there is no problem.

Create a resume that makes people ask questions, not answer all of them.....Don't mention pizza...call it food service if you must or Operations management for a national company.....can you describe pizza without saying "pizza?"....how creative are you?

Do you want to manage things or people? Do you want to work alone or with others? many similar questions are what you need to consider....

I have 40 years as a mid-high level manager for major corporations in addition to owning a small business....PM me if you want more insight :).

About a year ago, after realizing I didn't like the direction my industry was going and after a number of wonderful people left my company (leaving the place in the hands of a real jerk) I made a similar big switch.

Sure, it was scary and the new biz has its ups and downs just like any other field, but it was so worth it and I'm much happier now. Go get 'em man, and congrats on the new adventure.

I would say that your selling points are your leadership and management success, as well as versatility. Don't be shy about selling yourself. Read internet ads, other job listings, keep an open mind, have faith. A competent man can do nearly anything well. Good luck.

Here's my thoughts. You'll be interviewing, so some of these are just red flags.

• Good luck avoiding millenials. Don't bring this up. You will be working with them, and it's something you need to deal with rather than avoid.
  • Like it or not, you've already been building a career in the food and hospitality business. So, unless you want to restart your career (and salary), you should stick with that. I wouldn't want to work in the food business either, but maybe start googling and see what else is there - hotel mgmt, etc. Florida is wall-to-wall hospitality businesses. Your past would work well in Orlando theme parks for example, though you'd have to deal with the public :)
  • I'd avoid solar anything. It's totally unstable now. Hopefully not forever, but it heavily relies on national and regional political support, and that's been a pretty flakey hot potato in recent years.
  • Maybe consider manufacturing, where you can use your people mgmt experience. It will be groundhog day though.
  • I'd avoid mentioning health issues in an interview. I should assume you would not talk about this, but you did here, so who knows.
  • 9-5 M-F isn't too hard to find if you stick to large employers and stay away from retail. If you have a 4-yr degree, you can get into a ground floor mgmt job in an insurance or healthcare company and work your way up. Benefits shouldn't be a problem there. I think it's a little late in your world to be an idealist. Reality is you've got a wife and kids (and who knows what associated bills) and you need steady employment. Those kids will want to go to college and in theory you should be saving for that right now, as well as retirement.
  • As an interviewer, I'd be really concerned hiring a father of two who quit a job before setting up the next one. It's much easier, and a better position to negotiate from, when moving from one to the next.

Sorry to be downer, but those are my thoughts, what can I say :) Good luck.

With your technical abilities and your Management experience: 1) look for an entry level Human Resources position.... Nashville should be crawling with vacancies 2) open your own home theater and automotive Audio/video installation business 3) Apply to AT&T and do Direct TV and or Home security system installations 4) Go to work for ADT doing home security installs 5) Search for Recruiter positions... Lot's of head hunting companies out there hiring recruiters.... It's typically 8-5 M-F and you can work your way up to a pretty good salary.

Good Luck !

If you are into Music.. Nashville.... Look at "project" management with a music company - VER.com

Not just about the equipment - it's about juggling a lot of balls, and planning ahead. ( logistics )

my 2 cents

Good Luck

S

People management skills

Inventory management and logistics

Skills dealing with the public

Can Do approach, you obviously know how to think on your feet, deal with crisis, and get things done.

From your description, there should be many HR people who would look at your record and find a good fit in numerous fields. You would be most satisfied to find a position in a SMALL sole proprietorship business where you feel connection and commitment to the business. Small manufacturing, marketing, real estate, you name it. Sell yourself as a people manager. That's clearly your strong point, and a skill that very few people have. Most people managers suck at it. Each employee must as you know be recognized and treated as an individual to get the most out of them, and for them to want to please you. That's the most difficult job on earth in my opinion. I've done it and I hate it!! But I'm NOT a people person..... but I'm good at it.

I haven't had a job since 1980. Self employed most of that time, part of it with employees, but mostly solo...... I make more money and deal with less stress if I don't have employees. I still do work for customers, many of whom date back 30 years or more, but don't need to work as I can make far more stock trading than working. A person needs the balance of work however........ My hands want to work and need to.

H.W.

At the grind right now. Don't have the time to hit all these great points, but thanks and keep em coming and thanks for the support. I will hit a few real quick.
The recording industry is extremely competitive and not family friendly at all.
While leaving my current position before getting another may be looked down upon, this isn't totally unplanned. I have a good size nest egg, ample 401k already and gave an indefinite notice 2 months ago. I could take up to 3 months or maybe more without issue, and getting something to get a paycheck in the mean time would extend that greatly. My monthly debt/bills/food is under 2k. House, car, and a student loan is my debt.
Good point on not stating pizza and focusing on skills and accomplishments.
I'll start on the LinkedIn​ page tonight. I think I have one from years ago. Was planning on spending a good chunk of time networking over the phone next week.
As someone who has done hundreds of interviews, studied behavioral interviewing, etc, I'm fairly certain I can project my leaving as a confidence in my worth and ability rather than a dumb emotional move. Taking on a serious job hunt and scheduling interviews is not really possible with the current hours I work. With that catch 22, I feel I have to step away. While this is a risk, I feel I have put myself in a position that is a controlled risk.

I have considered opening a craft beer store, or three. I visited a store in the LES of NYC on my last visit that had a great model. Singles and sixers, all cold storage, growlers and pints in a small footprint and 1 staff member. That would fit in any small strip mall space. I have also considered a pizza pub, but anything like that would mean a lot of hours for the first few years. Capital is the only question in regards to both. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks to all for your support and feedback.

Have you considered taking some tests that indicate what job might best fit you? Any one of the multitude of colleges/universities in Nashville can probably help you in that area. Or read the book What Color is My Parachute?
I have not. That's a good idea.
Have you found a reputable professional recruiter/placement person? Good ones are paid by the employers, not employees. Sign any contract without any upfront fees...you don't pay if you don't take a job so there is no problem.
Commonly referred to as"headhunters"? I have not. Do you think they would look past "pizza"?
Create a resume that makes people ask questions, not answer all of them.....Don't mention pizza...call it food service if you must or Operations management for a national company.....can you describe pizza without saying "pizza?"....how creative are you?
Been thinking over this point all day, and it's a good one. Pretty easy to pull off, except, is it not common practice to list the name of previous employer?
Do you want to manage things or people? Do you want to work alone or with others? many similar questions are what you need to consider....
In a perfect world, it would be collaborative, at least semi-technical and involve problem solving.
I have 40 years as a mid-high level manager for major corporations in addition to owning a small business....PM me if you want more insight :).
I'll take all the insight I can get.

Maybe set up a profile on LinkedIn. Helped my job search. With my now-employer, I'd see jobs posted on their website, but on Linkedin, I'd see the same req, along with an HR contact - so, I'd send a direct message via linked in to the HR contact with my tailored cover letter, and try and establish a connection that way. Turned a application to a cross-country interview invitation in 48 hours that way.

I have not. That's a good idea.

Commonly referred to as"headhunters"? I have not. Do you think they would look past "pizza"?

I really think they would... From experience. I was literally a grunt in a pharmacy, not a pharm tech, but not a manager either, and the staffing agencies really took care of me, just research the ones you talk to.

There's an IT staffing company called Entelligence that is amazing, great benefits out the gate, and they really take care of you. I started with them about 8 months ago, on a contract with NetApp, and just got flipped from contact to a fully badged NetApp employee.

Also with your management background, Service Coordination or Project Management (in any industry) would probably be a pretty good fit.

Good luck to you and the family! I took the same leap about 3 years ago, took a huge income hit to begin with, but in the last year I've doubled my income, so it can certainly happen and work out great.

Maybe set up a profile on LinkedIn. Helped my job search. With my now-employer, I'd see jobs posted on their website, but on Linkedin, I'd see the same req, along with an HR contact - so, I'd send a direct message via linked in to the HR contact with my tailored cover letter, and try and establish a connection that way. Turned a application to a cross-country interview invitation in 48 hours that way.

I'll have that done by mid next week. Thanks!

My advice (too late) is not to quit before you have another opportunity lined up. It is much easier to get a new job if you're employed.

I will be "on vacation" for a month with salary and benefits.
The catch 22 in it all is, I work 60-65 hours a week including swing shifts, getting home at 3am half the time. The other half of the time, I get up at 7am. Make no mistake, it's a grueling job. Everything else in life takes a a back seat. Making time to dedicate to searching for jobs, setting up phone calls, etc is very difficult. On top of that, my best self would not be showing up for any potential interviews. Instead, it would be me, misspoken, and exhausted. While I may loose some leverage, the person/commodity that I project and present will be vastly better than the alternative. At any given time in the future, I could be back into position with a phone call. So I have a fallback if this somehow blows up in my face. I'm leaving with ample notice, with a full staff, stepping in to help with admin until another GM is in position, and even helping the new manager, once assigned, transition in.

Jwin;7943880 Commonly referred to as"headhunters"? I have not. Do you think they would look past "pizza"? [B said:
Yes..that's them. Contrary to what a lot of people think, these guys are salesmen. They call/contact companies half the day and "pitch" a person (candidate) by skills, etc.....blah, blah, blah...."couldn't you use a person with that kind of talent in your organization?" and so on....The other half of the day they pitch companies or recruit for positions....the really good ones work on retainers...paid upfront to find a person. [/B]

Been thinking over this point all day, and it's a good one. Pretty easy to pull off, except, is it not common practice to list the name of previous employer?

Yes, but it's not a commandment....a good HR person or hiring authority is not hung up on the company to begin with....heck, half the companies I see listed I may not even have a clue as to what they do....

Make a list of what is important and rank it. Hours? Pay? Satisfaction? Environment? Travel? Flexibility? Recognition Potential? Personal Development? Fame? Fortune? :D you get the idea....

I've done this twice in my lifetime...once forced and once by choice. The forced one put me in my career today (and took me away from Nashville) and at one point I decided to change....but only marginally and remained on the fringes of manufacturing. I returned because I found there were "needs" that were not being met. In turn, I gave up some "desires." But I found another way to meet those desires later in life.....the important ones, anyway.:mug:

I'm 55. I was in the same boat as you.

I'm in IT. I was working for a major financial institution. I was a Director, running a large department. I'd been promoted as far as I could for my region. I was making good money. It was in a nice, safe, cushy job. I could have retired from that job without any problems.

But - It was sucking the life out of me.

I hated my boss. The company had really changed since the 2009 financial crisis. I was just showing up for work every day, and trying to make it to Friday.

I took a chance last year and took a job with a small company doing something that had nothing to do with banking. So far, I love it. I learn new stuff every day, and I've got a lot of autonomy. I feel like I've gone back to my roots.

It can be done. Just go slow. Don't jump at the first thing that pops up.

When you're interviewing, don't talk about pizza. Talk about your experiences, and the skills you've developed from them. Tie them to the job you're interviewing for.

If you're a well-rounded individual, with a solid set of skills, you'll find something out there.

I have considered opening a craft beer store, or three. I visited a store in the LES of NYC on my last visit that had a great model. Singles and sixers, all cold storage, growlers and pints in a small footprint and 1 staff member. That would fit in any small strip mall space. I have also considered a pizza pub, but anything like that would mean a lot of hours for the first few years. Capital is the only question in regards to both. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks to all for your support and feedback.

Any sort of retail / food / beverage gig is going to be a lot of hours and probably not family friendly, until / unless you have a trustworthy manager involved.
If you do want to get into craft beer store, you might look into becoming a Craft Beer Cellar franchisee. They are based in Massachusetts and now have a few dozen stores around the country. Mainly Massachusetts right now, but several other states. Small footprint, highly curated beers / breweries. I don't have any stakes in the game other than shopping at a couple of their stores.

I've been at the same place more than 30 years and haven't enjoyed my job (own a small business and retail sucks) and if I thought I could get something paying the same, I would walk out with a huge smile on my face.
Kudos to you for doing this though I hope your other half has a good job. I could never leave my employment and possibly put my family in jeopardy but I seem to like pain!

Find a temp agency that will place you. Most likely the person you are working for will then hire you after your term is up.

I wouldn't completely avoid the pizza discussion, it will come up, so repaint it to align with the job you seek. If it's a manufacturing supervisor job, talk to pizza as rapid delivery custom manufacturing, with challenging quality control standards, and table turnover as inventory turns, etc. A sales job? talk about how pizza is about selling a commodity into a buyers market, and how you developed promotions and upselling tools to drive top line growth.

I'm not judging you here so don't take this the wrong way. I do alot of hiring so I'm giving you an honest perspective. Voluntarily quitting with young kids to raise will look really bad, and honestly, it's way worse then being terminated in the eyes of many hiring managers. Employers will question judgement, temperment, and the ability to handle difficult situations while seeking a better path forward. Luckily, it's illegal to to ask family status.... so I'd advise that you DO NOT volunteer this information. Best of luck

I wouldn't completely avoid the pizza discussion, it will come up, so repaint it to align with the job you seek. If it's a manufacturing supervisor job, talk to pizza as rapid delivery custom manufacturing, with challenging quality control standards, and table turnover as inventory turns, etc. A sales job? talk about how pizza is about selling a commodity into a buyers market, and how you developed promotions and upselling tools to drive top line growth.

I'm not judging you here so don't take this the wrong way. I do alot of hiring so I'm giving you an honest perspective. Voluntarily quitting with young kids to raise will look really bad, and honestly, it's way worse then being terminated in the eyes of many hiring managers. Employers will question judgement, temperment, and the ability to handle difficult situations while seeking a better path forward. Luckily, it's illegal to to ask family status.... so I'd advise that you DO NOT volunteer this information. Best of luck

Yea, it's illegal to ask about any of the reasons I'm leaving.

I'll followup after the grind

Based on what i'm going through at the moment I'll mention HVAC (I'm having a geothermal heatpump with backup generator installed). I'm a retired EE and have in the course of the project received two job offers from two of the contractors because they desperately need people who understand the systems nature of an assemblage of modern HVAC equipment. It's basically configuring the controls to avoid things like preventing simultaneous demands for heating and cooling from two thermostats operating the same heat pump so it isn't rocket science i.e. should be well within the capabilities of someone with an audio engineering degree. The guys that run the companies that sell and install this stuff are enterprising techs that started their own companies. They are bright guys (some of them) but they don't think like engineers which they didn't have to do when the furnace was one piece and the A/C the other. Today the systems are systems and they need some engineering.

Now no idea as to whether this tickles your fancy. It would rely more on your engineering skills than your management skills. Just thought I'd throw it into the smorgasboard,

Soooo....
I have found 2 positions at an audio equipment manufacturer here in town that I feel I would be well suited for and enjoy.
One in customer service, one in equipment repair/warranty service, etc.
I meet the requested qualifications of each.
Any tips on applying for both without looking like some fool just desperate for a job? LOL
Honestly, I would prefer whichever one provided me the greater chance for upward progression.

What do you feel about candidates turning the interview on you? Namely, culture of the company, company goals and opportunities, opportunities for advancement?

1. you're nuts...you have a family and you are quitting your job, losing your income and insurance....that is not good management in my book. The grass is alway greener when you have none of your own. It is easier to get a job when you have a job. You can bet the interviewer is going to be asking WHY did he quit before he had a new job.....I would.

2. You have had great success in your field. Why not work for yourself. Start a food truck or a neighborhood pizza joint....work the hours you choose. If you are all that good as you say, it should be no problem.

3. Network....reach out to friends, family, suppliers, customers, church members...I got my job because a friend I sailed with "knew a guy"...happens all the time.

Jwin, I may not be a good one to talk to about type of stuff. I've had the same job since 1990. Do I ever think about quitting? Never more than two or three times a day! Why don't I quit? Because I don't have another job lined up that pays anywhere near what I make now! Jwin, we get payed because of the crap we put up with that is called a job. I love shooting, I've made money shooting....I can't make a living at it, so I'm not gonna quit my job and start chasing targets.

While I wish you the best of luck, I wish you find a job before you quit this one! But, I'm just a old stick in mud type guy.

What do you feel about candidates turning the interview on you? Namely, culture of the company, company goals and opportunities, opportunities for advancement?

They had damn well better! At least when given the chance to ask questions, and if the interviewer doesn't give the chance, then you know you are a) sunk and out of it or b) don't want to work for such a place.:)

Phrase company opportunities so that it is clear you are asking about the COMPANY growth.

The last question is the most delicate....you can't seem like you are just taking this position to move to the next...."In time, would there possibly be advancement opportunities?" "After great performances, what has happened to others in this job?"....I like these questions and hope to hear them from candidates.

1. you're nuts...you have a family and you are quitting your job, losing your income and insurance....that is not good management in my book. The grass is alway greener when you have none of your own. It is easier to get a job when you have a job. You can bet the interviewer is going to be asking WHY did he quit before he had a new job.....I would.

2. You have had great success in your field. Why not work for yourself. Start a food truck or a neighborhood pizza joint....work the hours you choose. If you are all that good as you say, it should be no problem.

3. Network....reach out to friends, family, suppliers, customers, church members...I got my job because a friend I sailed with "knew a guy"...happens all the time.

Jwin, I may not be a good one to talk to about type of stuff. I've had the same job since 1990. Do I ever think about quitting? Never more than two or three times a day! Why don't I quit? Because I don't have another job lined up that pays anywhere near what I make now! Jwin, we get payed because of the crap we put up with that is called a job. I love shooting, I've made money shooting....I can't make a living at it, so I'm not gonna quit my job and start chasing targets.

While I wish you the best of luck, I wish you find a job before you quit this one! But, I'm just a old stick in mud type guy.

While I appreciate your concern, I don't think your read past my first post. This isn't an emotional reaction, but calculated. I will have a month of income and insurance after I leave. I have funds saved up specifically for this reason in the event that this takes longer than that. Is their risk involved? Yes, but that is the case with starting my own business, going back to school or any other life altering course. I have faith in my knowledge, ability to sell myself and take on a new challenge. I'm actually very excited for it.
Working 60+ a week and putting in the time required to do this do not mesh.

Soooo....
I have found 2 positions at an audio equipment manufacturer here in town that I feel I would be well suited for and enjoy.
One in customer service, one in equipment repair/warranty service, etc.
I meet the requested qualifications of each.
Any tips on applying for both without looking like some fool just desperate for a job? LOL
Honestly, I would prefer whichever one provided me the greater chance for upward progression.

Apply for the position that has more draw to you and include a line like, "While I am applying for X role with (insert company name), I also saw that you are hiring for Y role as well. If you feel that I would be better suited for this role, based on my experience and skill set, please let me know."

Apply for the position that has more draw to you and include a line like, "While I am applying for X role with (insert company name), I also saw that you are hiring for Y role as well. If you feel that I would be better suited for this role, based on my experience and skill set, please let me know."

Ty

Update time.
Got a couple resumes cooking and working on cover letters. LinkedIn is go as well.
Really enjoyed resting, spending time with the family and getting spring yard work started without my phone going off every two minutes.
I've found a couple of leads on items of interest.
Question, is it considered inappropriate in today's tech driven world to hand deliver resumes? It's been a decade since I went on an interview. I feel, as well as others around me, that I sell myself better than any resume I could cook up. Not to sound cocky or anything... I'm one of those strange introvert people persons who can strike up conversation with anyone about nothing. I mean, if *I* was looking for good people, I'm considering the person who took the time to stand before me first. But I'm not sure if that's still how the world works.

Also, was working my way through What Color Is Your Parachute. Sadly, the author passed away yesterday.

Question, is it considered inappropriate in today's tech driven world to hand deliver resumes? It's been a decade since I went on an interview. I feel, as well as others around me, that I sell myself better than any resume I could cook up. Not to sound cocky or anything... I'm one of those strange introvert people persons who can strike up conversation with anyone about nothing. I mean, if *I* was looking for good people, I'm considering the person who took the time to stand before me first. But I'm not sure if that's still how the world works.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for this. I too feel I sell myself best in person vs on a piece of paper or PDF.

I agree that it speaks volumes about someone's drive and character if they follow-up in person after applying, especially when you can put a face to a name, but to your point, we're in a digital age.

That said, you can always try finding someone in the company on LinkedIn (with HR, Hiring, Manager, Director... in their title) and sending them a message, letting them know that you applied and wanted to follow-up to see if they had any questions. Just a personal preference here, but I would wait 24 to 48 hours after applying.

Good luck, man!

It can be very difficult in a competitive market to get a professional job just by applying. Networking, referrals and often headhunters/recruiter relationships are necessary. Unless your seeking entry level and planning to work yOur way up.

Check into contract work, there's less risk for the employer which sometimes can equate to them taking a chance on someone who doesn't fit the exact profile they are seeking. It's not unusual for a contract to turn to perm if they like you, and if it doesn't, you now have added the experience of the contract to make your resume more relevant.

You can find contract work organically on your own (sometimes difficult) or work via placement agencies like Randstad who get the contracts from the companies are are responsible for the recruiting, hiring, paying and managing responsibilities on behalf of the client company for a flat fee... this work for client company by outsourcing all the admin and HR overhead and further minimizing risk.

Back