My first volcano!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugenio

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So ive been lucky enough to never have a yeast blow the seal of my carboy...until today. I came to check on my patersbier, a 5%ish brew so nothing exorbitant, and my 1 piece bubbler was spewing krausen like a raging volcano, luckily I caught it early.

Now this brew I did stuff different, I used pure oxygen instead of shaking, and I used the yeast WY3787, could either of these have been the main cause?

I might start going straight to the hose method instead of the bubbler from now on!

I found my first volcano this evening. I brewed a Roggenbier on Mother's Day and hadn't checked on it for a couple days. Well, this evening I took a peek and noticed something was off.....

The airlock was found on the floor a few feet away and the shelf was/is covered. Fingers crossed that it's still fine.

I put an amber in an ale pale one night. The next morning, we went camping for the weekend and my wife turned off the AC so it probably got into the mid 80's in the house. When we got back, the lid was a few feet from the bucket, with the airlock a couple feet from the lid. There was dried krausen on the ceiling and most of our clothes. It had been there long enough that it had a texture closer to pork rinds than anything else. The beer was actually pretty dang good once it was bottled and conditioned.

So ive been lucky enough to never have a yeast blow the seal of my carboy...until today. I came to check on my patersbier, a 5%ish brew so nothing exorbitant, and my 1 piece bubbler was spewing krausen like a raging volcano, luckily I caught it early.

Now this brew I did stuff different, I used pure oxygen instead of shaking, and I used the yeast WY3787, could either of these have been the main cause?

I might start going straight to the hose method instead of the bubbler from now on!
i would have to say the yeast played a good part in it.. after i had one of my beers do that all i use is hose method tell it starts to slow down then i will put an airlock in.. my first was a wlp 400 yeast i used on a blue moon clone years ago. my most recent was a yeast i pulled from a bottle of widmer hef it blew the lid off :) what a mess ! heres a link with the yeast your useing, looks violent ( [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpYJDUrVso[/ame] )

I put an amber in an ale pale one night. The next morning, we went camping for the weekend and my wife turned off the AC so it probably got into the mid 80's in the house. When we got back, the lid was a few feet from the bucket, with the airlock a couple feet from the lid. There was dried krausen on the ceiling and most of our clothes. It had been there long enough that it had a texture closer to pork rinds than anything else. The beer was actually pretty dang good once it was bottled and conditioned.

I love this! Beer blew out and all over everything and was exposed to god knows what for several days? Bottle it up!

Back