Morning Afternoon or Evening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
So what time of day do most of you like to brew? I like late afternoons and evenings the best. I like to watch the steam roll off the kettle in the gray winter sky at night. The beer taste pretty good that time of day too. Brewing up an all grain American Blonde 5 gallon thin evening.

Mash in should be done by 5 AM. Everything should be put away by 11 AM at the latest.

Pretty early in the morning. I usually light the burner between 6-7 am. That leaves the afternoon free for other stuff.

I used to brew in the evenings, but found myself getting wasted, making mistakes, and it being potentially dangerous.

......... That was years ago. I now brew sober in the mornings. I like to be done and all cleaned up by noon.

I brew in the evenings after dark;

No flies or bugs, it's coolest and usually no distractions. The next morning the yeast is usually cooking like crazy and makes it easier to monitor the blowoff.

I tried the mornings and couldn't get the wort down to a decent temperature (below 90F) as my tap water is already that warm by midmorning.

Mid-afternoon to evening here. I like to have a home brewed beer while my boil is finishing up. I have two pre-teen children that keep me on my toes, and I try not to let them see the late night dad. Haha

Whenever time allows. If I had the choice it would be early. I love to watch the sun rise as the boil is going. With a 6 month baby though I brew whenever I have the time.

I like to start in the morning so that if anything unexpected comes up, I have time to shift the schedule to the right. I have a spare propane tank but I usually try to start boil late enough in the morning that if I need to run to the store for more propane (or to a homebrew store, etc.) that I'm not waiting for four hours for them to open.

I usually brew on Sundays or Wednesdays - Sunday is a day off, and Wednesday I don't leave for work until 4 pm. I like an early start. I have the grain milled and the liquor treated and in my MLT and HLT when I start, so all I have to do is light off the burners to get the mash started. I used to mill the grains the morning of, but found my strike water was at temp before I could get the milling done, so I mill ahead now. If I start at 6:30, I'm done by noon, including cleaning, as long as I'm doing a 60 min mash, 60 min boil, and no whirlpool additions. And no beer until the boil has started, 'cause I make too many mistakes, even on just 1 beer. Happens with poker too, so when I want to win, I'm a tea-totaler.

Mornings for me. I am almost done with the boil right now.

Drinking the gravity sample of a saison I bottled while my grain was mashing.....

I prep the night before. Get all the hoses tri-clamped up and filtered water in the HLT. Then I can walk into the garage around 8 in the morning and kick the power on to start heating things up while I get the grains crushed and coffee on. Something nice about the smells of the mash mixing with the aroma of coffee in a cold garage while the sun is rising on a frosty morning.

Most of the time, I brew in the morning on Saturday or Sunday. Occasionally, I brew on Friday evening after work.

Back