Mold in the keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRob

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with mold in their keezer?

My freezer is always filled with condensation, and especially if I put wood or cardboard in it, I end up with mold. I don't use wood and cardboard any more to store beer or build shelves, but this has made the freezer much less flexible.

I've sprayed it with Lysol, filled the bottom with bleech, but I still get mold. I have not tried making a solution of star san and spritzing the entire interior. That may do it, but I thought I'd ask... Any ideas?

Does anyone else have a problem with mold in their keezer?

My freezer is always filled with condensation, and especially if I put wood or cardboard in it, I end up with mold. I don't use wood and cardboard any more to store beer or build shelves, but this has made the freezer much less flexible.

I've sprayed it with Lysol, filled the bottom with bleech, but I still get mold. I have not tried making a solution of star san and spritzing the entire interior. That may do it, but I thought I'd ask... Any ideas?

I think it is par for the course. I use bleach spray.

(i also just got introduced to redundant titles;)lol)

The proper way is to prevent the condensation! First make sure everything's sealed up tight. If you have a collar, are all the seams caulked real well? Grab some silicone caulk and go to town, if air's getting in anywhere it's going to make the problem much worse. Then you want to dry the inside out really well and get a dessicant system figured out... a lot of people (myself included) have had success with an Eva-Dry (look on Amazon), it's a portable dehumidifier filled with silica gel. It has a built in heater so it will regenerate itself if you plug it in overnight. Also make sure you have a fan inside the keezer to keep the air moving past the dehumidifier and prevent cold spots (which will lead to more condensation)

Back