Mash with Dark Star

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
Hello. I am currently using the new Dark Star Burner that my Wife got me for Christmas, along with a 10 gal pot with thermometer, ball valve, and false bottom. I am currently using them for extract brewing but a some point want to make the jump to all grain. My wife bought the pot with that in mind

I am using it to make my first 5 gal home grown recipe. During the steep I noticed I had a hard time keeping it set at a light/low/steep/mash temps. I eventually would like to switch to all grain. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble using dark star to keep a constant temperature like is needed for masing?

I've been having trouble but I live in Minnesota, the high today was 38 and it is dropping to -2 tonight so the wind is really strong and by normal peoples standards it is cold right now. So I believe my issues are mostly wind related but I am curious about weather or not other people have been able to use there Dark Star to do all grain. The wind is probably at 25-40 mph.

PS. I've been drinking since 9:00pm so if I'm not making sense maybe I will in the morning. :drunk:

Note: Temperatures listed above are degrees Fahrenheit, which is quite different than Celsius.

I've done BIAB using my Dark Star with an 8 gallon kettle. Here's what I have found. When I add the grain, the closer the water level is to the top of the kettle, the easier it is to keep a temp. My last batch was a 3 gallon BIAB so the kettle was not nearly full during mash. I had a heck of a time keeping the temp. But I don't think it had anything to do with the Dark Star. I think it is just easier to keep mash temps in a cooler or something insulated. Now, I live in Southern California, so I usually brew in 60 to 70 degree weather (yes, even in winter, sorry). So I can only imagine how hard it is to keep a kettle at a steady temperature when it is actually cold outside. Your best bet is probably to get something to insulate the kettle with.

Back