Mash Temperature Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronyasgur

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a new boiler/kettle setup at some stage this year and I'm trying to think ahead a bit. I'm wondering specifically about the temperature probe. From what I can gather the only way to be sure of your temperature reading is to either stir the pot or use a recirculating pump. Is this the reality or is there any way of avoiding stirring without using a pump. I'm a stovetop brewer and I dont see a stovetop RIMS system working.

I have a background in control engineering and computers and I suppose I had the notion that at some stage in the future I might go for programmable stepped mashes ( not that I even really appreciate the benefit of that at this early stage ) but clearly I'd need an accurate ( and automatic - ie without the need to stir ) temperature reading to achieve this ... does this mean I'd need to use a pump

I suppose I'm curious from both points of view - firstly as a "new to the game" homebrewer who would just like accurate mash temperature readings — and secondly as someone who down the line might be interested in a more advanced brewing setup - and in the ideal world I'd buy a simple setup now that I could develop better control over later - as opposed to replacing the setup outright in a couple of years

I batch sparge and until now have never had the ability to recirculate, and I always used a lab thermometer with very accurate results. I just left it in the mash and checked and stirred every so often. I use that same thermometer to calibrate all my others.

Back