Mash In A Bucket system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidsmint

Reaction score
Last year I had this idea to a build a compact mash tun with the capability to recirculate and heat like a RIMS system. Well after going back to the drawing board numerous times, this is what I finally came up with. The first thing I did was have a stainless steel filter bucket built to place inside of the cooler. After that I built the heater tube out of stainless pipe and a brew heater that I got from my local brew shop. I bought a Sous Vide temp controller on ebay that has the capability to do up to 8 phases so I can do an automated step mash. I'm in the process of building a raised round platform to mount the Chugger pump to so I can sit the cooler on top of the platform, but for now I have the pump bolted to a piece of pine. Last weekend was the first time that I have used the whole system together including the heater pipe. I did a Hefeweizen doing a 90 minute automated 4 step mash. All in all I am very happy with this set up and I hit 85% efficiency on my first try. I'm sure there will be some more tweaking that I will do but at least I have a good start. Experimenting and building equipment is why I love the hobby of beer brewing so I thought I would share my ideas for others to improve upon!

Here is a YouTube video of my system in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Uu6lq_gLs&feature=youtu.be

BIAB 1.jpg

BIAB 4.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

Wow very nice set up. How much did it run you $$$?? That's so cool and portable also!!!!

I would LOVEEEE a parts list on this.

I'm close to building a very small brewshed that will house all of my brew stuff, but doesn't leave much room for my current BIAB brewstand. Your system here might be a perfect solution for my mini brewshed.

Did you keep any notes when you were putting it together?

I can’t tell you exactly how much $ I have into this system because I’ve changed the design over the past year. If I were to guess, I probably $500-600 wrapped up into it but I’m sure it could be built cheaper. I never really kept any notes or parts list but here is what I could remember off the top of my head.

Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...ge-Cooler-FG1610HDORAN/202260809#.UUt3aOQo7Vg
I pieced together the valve assembly for the cooler, not sure of all the part #’s. I used a 1/2 “ thread barb for the tube assembly on the cooler lid and lined with Reflectix insulation.

I had a custom stainless basket built for $150 including shipping. PM me and I will give the contact info for Chad at Arbor Fabricating.

The heater tube assembly I made from the following stainless pieces from Amazon and bought the brew heater from my local beer store for $70.

Quantity of 1 - Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Hex Bushing, MSS SP-114, 1-1/4" NPT Male X 1" NPT Female - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H05DTI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Quantity of 2 - Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Tee, Class 150, 1-1/4" NPT Female - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSKXHS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Quantity of 1 - Stainless Steel 304/304L Pipe Fitting, Nipple, Schedule 40 Welded, 1-1/4" X 8" NPT Male - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JQJND2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Quantity of 3 - Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Hex Bushing, MSS SP-114, 1-1/4" NPT Male X 1/2" NPT Female - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H05EH4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Quantity of 1 – Stainless Steel thermowell ½” FPT x 2 ½”L x ½” MTP protection tube - http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMOWELL-...822?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec1341dde

Quantity of 2 – ½” x 1.5” pipe nipples

I have a Chugger Stainless pump - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chugger-Sta...193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e73ee9fc9

Sous Vide temp controller - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermostat-...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item20ce09909d

5 feet of Norprene tubing

6 SharkBite ½” swivel fittings - http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...ss-Swivel-Elbow-UC532A/202032924#.UUt6NeQo7Vg

That's about all I can remember right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The element runs off a normal 15/20 amp circuit and I never had any issues this past weekend even when running the Chugger pump for the whole 90 minute mash.

I'd love to build something like this, would it be possible to go into any further detail, like actual assembly, etc.?

I just finished the Chugger pump platform and attached the RIMS tube to the cooler. This is now a super compact system and is very portable. I'm very happy with this setup.

image-422848028.jpg

image-1745788936.jpg

image-245755081.jpg

Man that's really cool. What size batches are you doing with your setup? I would really like to build a setup like that in the near future. I love the fact that it doesn't take up a ton of space.

It's a 10 gallon cooler and I brew 5 gallon batches with it. The whole system is only about 17 inches wide. My wife thought it was cool looking and now she wants to help me brew something next week.

It's a 10 gallon cooler and I brew 5 gallon batches with it. The whole system is only about 17 inches wide. My wife thought it was cool looking and now she wants to help me brew something next week.

My wife said the same thing about your setup lol. What's the highest S.G. that you think you can get with your setup?

Is that a full blown immersion heater in your RIMS tube? If so, why did you go with that instead of a electric hot water heater element? Curious because you now have me thinking of a RIMS.

Not sure how high of an SG I can get but I can put 20lbs of grain in my bucket no problem. With the way I designed it I shouldn't have any problems with a stuck mash at all.

I started to build my own heat tube with a water heater element and had all of the materials but I saw the brew heater and I liked the metal lip that fits to the kettle. I used that lip to hang on to the cooler handle and I thought it made for a cleaner looking system.

I had about $40 in just the element, electrical box, faceplate and 14ga wire so you could definitely build your own cheaper.

I have to say that the sous vide controller is brilliant. I didn't even know they existed until this thread. I figured if I was ever to make a RIMS tube I'd finally have to learn about electricity.

One thing that I did forget to mention is that I can also cook Sous Vide with this system :) A buddy of mine is a chef in Florida and he said that cooking a steak by sous vide is one of the best ways to have steak! I'm looking forward to trying that and having a home brew!

Forgive me if this is a rookie question(I am), how do you sparge with this system, if in fact you do.

I'm still a rookie too so no worries! I haven't sparged with this set up yet because right now it's trial and error until I can find what works best. I might try to batch sparge next time and see if I can improve my efficiency even more, first time around I hit 85%. My thought is that since the wort is constantly recirculating, the center tube in my system is acting as an agitator and theoretically improving extraction from the grain at least that's how it works in my head :) Since I don't have a false bottom, I have no worries of a stuck mash when agitating the grain.

You're a much more intelligent person than me, obviously having built this, so, I, sure you though of it. Is is possible to perhaps put a barb underneath the cooler lid? You could then maybe attach a short length of tubing and a sparge arm. Could the hose coming out of the MT be redirected to an alternate cooler with water at the appropriate sparge temperature? I'm not very technically inclined, just throwing out ideas.

How about adding a 3 way valve out of the MT to empty into the boil kettle without disconnecting hoses?

OK I have several dumb questions so please bear with me

Do you have to heat any of the water before it goes into the tun or will this get it to temp all by itself?
What is the metal disk with a handle? Is it the bottom of your screen basket?

Do you think this would work with a false bottom? Why did you not use one?
I assume you run the water through the system till you hit your temp then add grain?

With 85% efficiency why would you sparge?

Lastly how long does a batch take?
What is a 4 step batch?

I actually have a barb with a tube attached. I drilled holes and plugged one end so the grains mix within the basket. When I transfer to the kettle I just unscrew the connection on the lid and attach to my kettle.

The stainless disc is actually a press, it helps me get as much of the good stuff out of the grains as possible.

My 4 step mash I did was just 4 different mash temps starting at 122 degrees up to the mash out temp of 170. I fill my cooler with hot water from my tap and the heater does the rest. My PID can do up to 8 different phases so I just set the mash temps and duration and let it go to work.

I did a 90 minute mash for my Hefe this past weekend.

image-2628800751.jpg

image-918668239.jpg

This is an amazing setup! Great job! love how compact it is. The only thing that scares me is the amps that you could pull with this setup on a 120V circuit. I guess as long as you don't have the heater turned all the way up you'll be fine. Best of luck to you!

Yep, I think that would work just fine. Do you plan on making a temp controller?

Skidsmint said:
Yep, I think that would work just fine. Do you plan on making a temp controller?

I planned on buying the one you suggest or something similar, I'll get the heating element without the dial for sure.

high5apparatus said:
I would say that will work, but you are taking two things that cost about $12 each and paying $70 for them, the element and the cord.

Correct, I am far from an electrician. You have compelled me to hit eBay for a cheap one. If I electrocute myself, it's on you ;)

Correct, I am far from an electrician. You have compelled me to hit eBay for a cheap one. If I electrocute myself, it's on you ;)

Since I've been looking into it myself, I thought I'd share: get at least a 14 gauge 3 prong cord for the 1500 watt element. I saw one where the guy made a copper cap to cover the wiring of the element, and the ground was soldered to the copper cap, grounding the entire RIMS.

high5apparatus said:
Since I've been looking into it myself, I thought I'd share: get at least a 14 gauge 3 prong cord for the 1500 watt element. I saw one where the guy made a copper cap to cover the wiring of the element, and the ground was soldered to the copper cap, grounding the entire RIMS.

I bought one for $11 shipped. I will definitely give that a shot. Thanks. My bucket screen is on its way, $141 shipped!!

Cool Mash Tun!
Have you had any problems with air bubbles (in the heat exchanger mainly)?
I may try this, would your heater fit under the cooler?

Wow I really like this mashtun setup! If making your own stainless steel mesh screen, what size holes should there be in the screen? 200 micron (0.2mm)? Will that filter well enough? Too well?

I haven't had any issues with air inside the heater tube. I run the pump first and from what I can tell, all of the air is pushed out of the tube. It might be a little large to fit under the cooler but I haven't tried it.
The screen size on mine 300 micron. I think that is a great size because I haven't had any issues with it. It filters great and allows wort through freely.

Skidsmint said:
I haven't had any issues with air inside the heater tube. I run the pump first and from what I can tell, all of the air is pushed out of the tube. It might be a little large to fit under the cooler but I haven't tried it.
The screen size on mine 300 micron. I think that is a great size because I haven't had any issues with it. It filters great and allows wort through freely.

He made mine 400 micron, will that be an issue?

I'm sure that would be just fine. I don't think there is a huge difference between 300 and 400.

Skidsmint said:
I'm sure that would be just fine. I don't think there is a huge difference between 300 and 400.

Thank you for your patience. I have purchased everything but the pump. Since the temp controller will take a month to swim over, I'll wait on it.

Quantity of 1 - Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Hex Bushing, MSS SP-114, 1-1/4" NPT Male X 1" NPT Female -

Quantity of 2 - Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Tee, Class 150, 1-1/4" NPT Female -

Quantity of 1 - Stainless Steel 304/304L Pipe Fitting, Nipple, Schedule 40 Welded, 1-1/4" X 8" NPT Male -

Quantity of 3 - Stainless Steel 304 Cast Pipe Fitting, Hex Bushing, MSS SP-114, 1-1/4" NPT Male X 1/2" NPT Female -

Quantity of 2 – ½” x 1.5” pipe nipples

Great build, it has me considering doing something similar. Mostly so I can set my mash temp and forget about it! Currently, I find myself checking on it regularly.

Now the nitpicking: you could have saved a ton on your stainless fittings simply by visiting the nearest plumbing supply house. Most will sell direct to the consumer. The 1-1/4" tees that Amazon sells for $31 are less than $10 from mine. The 8" nipple about $6. You never know, the guy behind the counter might be a homebrewer too:)

Back