Malt Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchnicholas

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I have not brewed a cider before. I am an avid home brewer of beer although. Just wondering if adding crystal 40 to a cider to give some unfermentable sweetness is something that would work. My plan is probably to use frozen juice from concentrate or bottled juice. I'd like to have a little more body and slight sweetness from some crystal malt. Maybe some cinnamon and nutmeg as well. I don't keg, so it will be bottled and carbonated post fermentation. Just wondering if anyone has tried this,and if so how did it go?

Ive made graff several times and it just tastes like cheap light beer. Not worth the effort IMO

Hmm, mine tastes like a nice tart apple beer.

Likewise! I've made 3 batches and they were all enjoyed by friends. I just pour liquid malt extract into the carboy once the fermentation begins to slow, approximately 3 lbs for 5gal of cider. I've used wheat, vienna, and munich LME to match the flavor profile of the apples. A more robust apple flavor can balance nicely with the darker LMEs. The LME leaves behind some body and can help balance the bitterness and/or sharp hope flavors that can I've found can sometimes happen with hops in cider.

I've been playing with BrandonO's basic graff recipe for a few years now & it's VERY adaptable & nearly goof-proof.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back