Malt Barley Planting, Pink Grains...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys, dunno if thisis meant for this part of the forums, if not mods feel free to move.

I picked up a bag of malt barley from a local farmer who was planting malt barley this year. It was from a local feed store where it was ordered and he planted 50 bags of the stuff. Anyways, I got 1 bag from him and it had a bunch of pink stuff all over it. Pinkish Red stuff, just like a powder.... Anyways, I didn't think anything of it. It IS malt barley I know that. It is ready to harvest and it all looks good.

Does anybody have any idea what this pink stuff would be?:rockin:

If it was barley for planting, the most likely it's covered in pesticide - to keep the critters from digging it up and eating it.

The pink stuff is for planting, pesticide. Same stuff they use on corn and soybeans.
Malted usually means that it was allowed to germinate, and then killed. No good for planting but good for brewing.
If it was allowed to germinate, powered, but not killed; then it is good for planting.

Since the title says "MALT" barley and not MALTED barley I am assuming that the barley seed is from a breed of barley bred for its emzyme componants. Like pointed out, the pink stuff is most likely a pestacide coating to keep critters from harvesting the seed before they are growing in the ground. It will go away very quickly once introduced to moisture!

Awsome, thanks guys for all the responses. The malt barley grew quite well and is already ready to harvest. I based it off of The Homebrewer's Garden, and am also using some local honey, and basil from my backyard for this next recipe.

More people should grow their own grains (I don't just a thought). If I took pictures of the places oats, wheat or barley springs up at the farm I work at...no one would be intimidated by trying to grown it! haha

More people should grow their own grains (I don't just a thought). If I took pictures of the places oats, wheat or barley springs up at the farm I work at...no one would be intimidated by trying to grown it! haha

It is not the growing part that scares me, it is the malting!! That seems like waay too much work. I will leave the malting to the pros.

It is not the growing part that scares me, it is the malting!! That seems like waay too much work. I will leave the malting to the pros.

I understand completely. Its why we only grow feed grade! But it sprouts in cow/horse poo after its gone through their system, in the back of our gator in the sediment that accumulates, in the back of the '54 ford pickup, sprouts out of haybails with no dirt in them, but my favorite was when it started to sprout in the toe of a workboot belonging to someone on sick leave haha

Back