Making a super light SRM colored ALE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Guys,

I want to make a super light colored American Blonde/Pale ale and need a few opinions as to some issues. Im looking at a 2-3SRM in color.

Ive never done anything so light so Im looking at using pilsner malt and some flaked wheat or jasmine rice.

I know it shouldnt make any difference but I do have to ask....does the yeast make any difference to the color? Is there a reason why a majority of lighter colored beers are lagers??? In essence does the yeast make any form of color contribution at all? My house yeast is Scotch Ale, and in my house pale ale I was forced to use WLP007 becuse i ran out of scotch, and Im 100% sure the color in the 007 version is darker (I could only go on memory tho). Would a lager yeast at ale temps give a lighter color (marginally)???

Also, would adding a ****-ton of late hops as well as dry hops(similar qtys to what you would add to an american style pale) darken it in any way? They are green after all and steeping in water leads to a green taint.

Additionally, I do need some sort of residual sweetness left in the beer to counter the bitterness of the hops, can anyone suggest something (adjunct is ok) that would add those unfermentables, other than carapils? C10 unfortunately is too dark.

Using Pilsner malt is going to need a 90m boil, has anyone done a slower simmer for longer than that to drive off DMS with any success?

Im brewing a beer for my best mates wifes 50th birthday and her nickname is "whitey" and obviously something that is anything other than yellow or lighter is an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

You're definitely going to have some problems with sweetness and perhaps body if you go too heavy on the base malt without any crystal. I suppose the flaked wheat will help with body. I did a kolsh with only basemalt and carapils once and it kind of sucked. You could add some maltodextrine to sweeten it up, but I've never used it and don't really know what to recommend.

You could us 2 row instead of pilsner and do a short 15 minute boil to keep the srm lighter. Also a little flaked oats say 5-10% for body, and mash high around 158.

Yeast and hops will not effect color.

I do a White Pale Ale with 50% Pilsen 2 row and 50% White Wheat and mash around 158/159. It comes out about 3 srm and is pretty damn tasty.

Latest posts

Back