Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what that is. He works there - at Vanderbilt Medical Center . He just got his M.D.
Had a squadron mate from Nashville who was a Vanderbilt grad. We used to give him grief about graduating from ‘Amy Vanderbilt University’, to which he would retort, “Yeah, but at least I know which fork and spoon to use!”

It really is a first class university with outstanding under grad and post graduate programs. Does your son know what specialty he wants to pursue? And congrats on his success as well as yours on this Father’s Day. You must be justifiably proud.

Well, my son beat me for the first time yesterday. I was playing like absolute manure, to be fair, but he's improving so quickly that it wasn't gonna be long if it wasn't now.
I played 18 with my son a few years ago, and I had to get into his head to beat him. Punk was driving at least 20 to 30 yards past me off every tee, and then hitting nice approach shots. I finally told him, if he beats me, he is walking home. LOL. Good times for sure. Rock On!!!!!!

I played 18 with my son a few years ago, and I had to get into his head to beat him. Punk was driving at least 20 to 30 yards past me off every tee, and then hitting nice approach shots. I finally told him, if he beats me, he is walking home. LOL. Good times for sure. Rock On!!!!!!

LOL. I was playing so badly that about halfway through the back 9 I just told him "at this point, you had BETTER beat me." I think he was two strokes ahead at the turn, but then I had a blowup on 10 and a double on 12 (as he made birdie) and I knew he'd have to have an epic meltdown to lose. I quite frankly didn't want to see that happen.

Played the local country club yesterday (Crown Colony) that was once rated the #2 golf course in Texas. It's a really nice layout, although to someone like me that's not used to so many bunkers, a little intimidating (landed in two bunkers, got up and down once and double-bogeyed the other).

So, we are three foursomes playing skins and closest to the pin on par 3s. I hit it close on the par 3 12th and make the putt. I'm thinking that I have a decent chance of winning either a skin or closet to the hole, maybe both if I'm lucky.

A guy in the foursome behind me aces the hole. It was Déjà vu all over again. since the last time I witnessed a hole-in-one I had stuck my shot about 2 feet from the hole and was already congratulating myself.

Why can't these guys hit there aces after I pull-hook my tee shot twenty yards left of the green, which would be much more likely than me hitting it to two feet?

(Rhetorical question_

No, it's not me stuck there. I walk the course. Right after taking this pic, Florida Man himself came walking up, quite perturbed and not in a mood to chat. Not sure why he came back to the cart, as there was nothing left in it.

1689207604164.png

Got lucky again this year and the Massachusetts Amateur synced up with my day off. It was held at the very old Donald Ross course Essex Country Club up on the North Shore.

Some history made this year. First woman to make it to the playoffs in the 115 year history. She's 18!!!!!!!!She got bounced early tho The winner is the youngest in history
IMG_20230714_081131.jpg
IMG_20230714_081417.jpg
IMG_20230714_081459.jpg
IMG_20230714_081516.jpg
IMG_20230714_081551.jpg
IMG_20230714_082259_1.jpg
IMG_20230714_082511.jpg

And a little to eat after all that hiking
IMG_20230714_132029.jpg

Last edited:

That beats my backyard chipping area.

I've searched high and low for a chipping technique until, finally, I came across Dan Grieve. I have his book but really, he explains everything to the tiniest detail in a Rich Shields video. Which is convenient because, even if I could afford him, his lesson schedule is all booked up until sometime in 2024.

You and your arch nemesis are dead even in the club championships after 17. You tee up on 18 and hit it 250 down the fairway and the other guy shanks it in the woods. You spend 10 minutes helping him look for his ball and he says, "go ahead and hit your second shot, I'll keep looking and if I don't find it I'll go back and hit another from the tee."
You hit your second about 10 feet from the pin, and just as it stops rolling you hear "found it!" from the woods and a ball comes flying out and lands 3 inches from the pin for a gimme.

Here's the dilemma. Do you keep playing or do you pull the laying cheater's ball out of your pocket and confront him with it?

You and your arch nemesis are dead even in the club championships after 17. You tee up on 18 and hit it 250 down the fairway and the other guy shanks it in the woods. You spend 10 minutes helping him look for his ball and he says, "go ahead and hit your second shot, I'll keep looking and if I don't find it I'll go back and hit another from the tee."
You hit your second about 10 feet from the pin, and just as it stops rolling you hear "found it!" from the woods and a ball comes flying out and lands 3 inches from the pin for a gimme.

Here's the dilemma. Do you keep playing or do you pull the laying cheater's ball out of your pocket and confront him with it?
Search limit is 3 minutes. If his ball is not found in that time it's lost, stroke and distance, send him back to re-tee.

Hit the little local executive course yesterday morning to get in some short game practice. Only got 6 holes as the foot bridge between 1-6 and 7-9 was impassable due to water runoff, but still a good tune up of real world golf since getting a lesson 2 weeks ago and making some changes on the range.

Hole 4 is usually a 66y par 3, a seemingly innocuous but truly diabolical hole... Tiny narrow green and everything feeds left down to a creek so you can't go long, and you can't go left. Tees back to a front pin, playing maybe 73-74 yards.

Hit a little partial wedge, right at the pin... Ball hits about 3" long right of the pin, jumps <2 feet left, and gave me this for birdie. Almost jarred the sucker.

1693666387118.png

Been playing a local 9 hole. For those of you in the know, Harding Park here in San Francisco is pretty well known. Hosted a few national PGA tourney's. Inside of it is a 9 hole course called Flemming. 3 or 4 par 4's and rest are par 3's. Longest par 3 is about 230, so for me it is a par 4. Fun course that can be played in a couple of hours. I usually shoot bogey golf, but like to go out and work on my irons and short game. If any of you are local to the SF area you should check it out.

The group I play with is very generous at granting relief, which I'm still getting used to. I always played the ball down unless the rules of golf specifically allowed relief. But the course we play does have so many areas that should be ground under repair that I get their point.

My friend dropped off of the mound without discussion.

EDIT: It's a par 5 and he did make par, but probably would have playing off the mound since it was a 3 shot hole from where his ball lay.

Hit my second ace two days ago. 143 yd par 3. I knew I hit it straight at the flag, but did not see it go in (was getting late and old eyes). I was walking, and when I did not see it on the green, I figured it rolled off the back into the thick stuff. Looked all over for it, putter and chipper in hand. Then I thought to check the cup haha.

The odds of hitting a hole in one are pretty low. If you're a bad golfer like I am, even lower. I feel guilty having two of them, but it is what it is.

1695350686007.png

1695350808070.png

Hit my second ace two days ago. 143 yd par 3. I knew I hit it straight at the flag, but did not see it go in (was getting late and old eyes). I was walking, and when I did not see it on the green, I figured it rolled off the back into the thick stuff. Looked all over for it, putter and chipper in hand. Then I thought to check the cup haha.

The odds of hitting a hole in one are pretty low. If you're a bad golfer like I am, even lower. I feel guilty having two of them, but it is what it is.

View attachment 829791

View attachment 829792

Nice! Congrats!

Hope you weren't looking for the ball for more than 3 minutes though... If so, then the ball is lost, you get a stroke & distance penalty, and head back to the tee hitting 3 😂

(And for making that joke I've earned enough bad karma to ensure I don't get one in at least the next decade lol)

^^ I listen to Sirius, 40's Junction or Red White & Booze while golfing. That headbanger stuff is not for me.

Squeezed a round in just as the curtains went down tonight. Great night out there. No aces lol, but some good shots nonetheless. Here's a shot on the 9th hole (I started on the back nine).

1695859739174.png

I've been doing something different lately golf-wise...

...practicing.

I finally went back and got a lesson about six weeks ago. Turns out I had a setup issue (was simply bent too far forward at address) and changing to a more functional position felt REALLY weird for a while, so I knew I had to go hit a lot of balls to get used to it. And I'm also planning on heading to Texas next week to my wife's parents, and planning to golf with her stepdad, and want to make sure I am in good form. So I've been hitting the range a lot. Just last week I hit balls at the range 3 times, and played a quick 9 at the pitch & putt course for actual real golf experience.

Yesterday I played at one of the more challenging, penal, courses I regularly hit. I ended up matching my personal best at that course despite finding water on the first tee and blasting two consecutive OB balls off the 6th. I'm still not a very good golfer, but overall was FAR more consistent than usual, and made 6 GIR and turned two of them into birdies.

Strange how actually practicing to become better at something... makes you better at something.

I've been doing something different lately golf-wise...

...practicing.

I finally went back and got a lesson about six weeks ago. Turns out I had a setup issue . . .
I hit plenty of balls, but I'm overdue for a lesson. I don't want to groove whatever swing flaws I have. Funny you mention setup, since that's one thing that's been more of a focus for me lately.

Like any sport, it's all (or at least 99%) about the fundamentals.

Nice @TheDudeLebowski !

Played with my 16 yo son at the exec course (par 60, 3670 yards) and it was a good day when we both played decently. I edged him slightly by playing bogey golf at a 78, to his par on the last hole (#1 handicap hole) to finish with a 79.

My wife and I are heading to see the in-laws in TX this week, so I'll get a chance to play Alsatian in Castroville, TX with her stepdad. Should be fun.

Excellent video about measuring the golf swing. EDIT: It should go without saying that the founder of Gears, Michael Nuff, knows a thing or two about the golf swing.

Last edited:
Back