Long IPA fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbosley2015

Reaction score
Hi all. I am fairly new to brewing. I have made a little over 10 5 gallon batches, both extract and BIAB. I am currently brewing my first IPA, which is the Grapefruit Pulpin extract kit (either from Midwest or Northern). I have a question about active fermentation.

I closely monitor temperatures throughout the entire process, and have a heating/cooling setup to automatically heat/cool the fermenter (using the Catalyst conical on this one) up/down to the appropriate temperature when the temp sensor reads above/below the level so temperature is not an issue.

I brewed on Saturday 31Mar, pitched two packets of Wyeast (yes I know, I need to start making starters). Active fermentation started within 3 hours with a nice hefty Krausen present after 4.5 hours. 12 days later and the Krausen has nearly completely fell but I still have a half inch or so left and it is still fermenting.

O.G. 1.064
Current S.G. 1.018
Target F.G. 1.012 (using BeerSmith)

I dry hopped at the current S.G. to impart some aromatics into the brew, and the gravity is decreasing daily, but only slightly.

My biggest issue here is that I have brewed Stouts, Porters, Blonde Ales, a dunkel, and an irish red, but none have actively fermented for this long.

Do I have concerns? Should I? Or should I just stay patient?

Which Wyeast yeast and how old were the pouches? Can we get the mash. temp, fermentation temp., etc.?

I brewed some beers around 1.065 OG and pitched 2 x Wyeast pouches, which were 40-50 days old and never had an issue. Primary fermentation for most yeast will be done in the first 2-5 days. For some, if not all, it's good to raise the temp. a bit for a few days, to help the yeast finish and clean after itself.

Some strains will work faster and better at higher fermentation temps. and viceversa.

With your OG and current FG, you are looking at 6% ABV and around 71% AA, which is not unheard of for some English strains. But as I wrote above, a bit more details would not hurt. Are you sure your mash. temp and fermentation temps. were correct?

Which Wyeast yeast and how old were the pouches? Can we get the mash. temp, fermentation temp., etc.?

I brewed some beers around 1.065 OG and pitched 2 x Wyeast pouches, which were 40-50 days old and never had an issue. Primary fermentation for most yeast will be done in the first 2-5 days. For some, if not all, it's good to raise the temp. a bit for a few days, to help the yeast finish and clean after itself.

Some strains will work faster and better at higher fermentation temps. and viceversa.

With your OG and current FG, you are looking at 6% ABV and around 71% AA, which is not unheard of for some English strains. But as I wrote above, a bit more details would not hurt. Are you sure your mash. temp and fermentation temps. were correct?

No mash, it was extract only.
Steeping grains steeped for 20 minutes at a constant 153 F
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (packaged 23 days prior to pitching) pitched at 64.4 F
Fermentation Temp is a constant 67.7 F

Latest posts

Back