Lager help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
Ok so the gravity reading showed it was about 74% done, so I increased temp from 45F to 59F. That was Friday most I have drop maybe 5 points. Should i leave to get down to estimated gravity? 8-10 points left. I was going to rack and start laggering. is it bad to wait any longer?

Patience! Let it finish up and then rack, afterwards start lowering the temps slowly until you reach whatever temp you are going to lager at. Of course you can get to the final result with many methods.

Yes. Technically a diacetly rest is higher than that but you need to let fermentation take it's course before racking it off of your yeast.

I'm not a lager guy so I may be off on the rest temp. But I would not want to lager a beer that is not at FG. That would drop the yeast and leave it sweet and unfinished maybe? I'm just guessing and am no authority on the subject.

If it's still fermenting, you can raise it a few degrees. Lower 60's is plenty high. If it's already reached finished gravity with no signs of fermentation/activity. Check the gravity sample for presences of diacetyl. If it's done, no diacetyl, then you get start lowering the temp for lagering. 3-5 degrees per day. Also assuming you're racking into a carboy or keg for this.

Ok thought lower sixties was pretty high, at the moment it's at 59 to 61. Diacetly didn't seem high, did notice some. Just making sure that leaving at this temp more than 3 days is ok. Already been fermentation for 3 1/2 weeks. Most things I read in forums and books say 1-3 days for a D rest. This is obviously my first lager and appreciate all the help. This site has been a life saver.

It won't hurt anything to raise your temp even further, and it might increase yeast activity, thus getting rid of the rest of your diacetyl.

DO NOT RACK YOUR BEER IF YOU CAN STILL TASTE DIACETYL.

Once the diacetyl is gone, you can lower your temp slowly or quickly. Ensure FG has been reached before you do so (same gravity reading on three consecutive days).

Lagers take a lot of patience.

Does diacetyl taste like butter? Or is my Vienna screwed?

In extremely large amounts, diacetyl tastes like butter or butterscotch. In smaller amounts, it's an oily or slick mouthfeel. A diacetyl rest should be done until ALL traces of diacetyl are gone, as it will get worse, not better, with lagering.

Latest posts

Back