Kegging Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelbyRae1892

Reaction score
You will need to purchase the following:

1) at least two corny kegs - since you have two taps
2) at a minimum a CO2 single regulator, perhaps a dual regulator if you want to force keg a keg while serving from you kegerator
3) CO2 tank (5lb)
4) various corny keg fittings, ball or pin, line splitter, etc.

Most important is a good pipeline of beer. :)

sikkingj said:
You will need to purchase the following: 1) at least two corny kegs - since you have two taps 2) at a minimum a CO2 single regulator, perhaps a dual regulator if you want to force keg a keg while serving from you kegerator 3) CO2 tank (5lb) 4) various corny keg fittings, ball or pin, line splitter, etc. Most important is a good pipeline of beer. :)

I see it ships with the regulator and CO2 tank, so strike items 2 and 3.

BTW the kegerator looks great. You might want to upgrade the taps to perlick taps, they will not stick shut.

I strongly second this. The difference between Perlicks and cheaper taps is almost unbelievable.

I third this ^^^^^^. If you opt for the cheaper taps, you'll just end up replacing them later with Perlick 525SS.

Figure on getting TWICE as many kegs as you have taps. Trust me.

You might want to upgrade the taps to perlick taps, they will not stick shut.

I 3rd or 4th or 5th this. I recently upgraded to all SS Perlicks because I learned the hard way that a good Milk Stout will definitely stick the faucet. So much so that when I tried to force the tap to open I ended up breaking it.

Get some perlick faucets when you can.

Thank you so much for the information on the keg taps, I have ordered two Perlick 525SS Stainless Steel Beer Faucet Keg Taps. Is that right?

As far as the ball lock kegs go, are those the same as corny kegs? If I get reconditioned instead of brand new, is that okay or should I spend the extra money and get new? Also, do I need to order the keg with the "Conversion Kit". This is what I'm looking at right now...

1. http://www.kegerator.com/reconditioned-homebrew-ball-lock-keg-conversion-kit-two-pack/CK1-CL1-2PK-KIT.html?cgid=Homebrew_Supplies-Kegs_Bottling

2. http://www.kegerator.com/reconditioned-5-gallon-ball-lock-homebrew-keg-dual-handles-stainless-steel/CK1-CL1-2PK.html?cgid=Homebrew_Supplies-Kegs_Bottling

(Next I'll be asking about the ball or pin, line splitter and etc...)

Thank you all so much for your help, I hope you don't mind me asking more questions!!

Both ball lock and pin lock fall under the general name "corny kegs" (short for Cornelius). There are notable differences (connections, height and diameter, etc.). Also, most pin lock kegs do not have pressure relief valves, although you can upgrade the lid to have that.

Both ball lock and pin lock fall under the general name "corny kegs" (short for Cornelius). There are notable differences (connections, height and diameter, etc.). Also, most pin lock kegs do not have pressure relief valves, although you can upgrade the lid to have that.

So, are you basically saying that the Ball Lock kegs are a better choice?

ShelbyRae1892 said:
Thank you so much for the information on the keg taps, I have ordered two Perlick 525SS Stainless Steel Beer Faucet Keg Taps. Is that right? As far as the ball lock kegs go, are those the same as corny kegs? If I get reconditioned instead of brand new, is that okay or should I spend the extra money and get new? Also, do I need to order the keg with the "Conversion Kit". This is what I'm looking at right now... 1. http://www.kegerator.com/reconditioned-homebrew-ball-lock-keg-conversion-kit-two-pack/CK1-CL1-2PK-KIT.html?cgid=Homebrew_Supplies-Kegs_Bottling 2. http://www.kegerator.com/reconditioned-5-gallon-ball-lock-homebrew-keg-dual-handles-stainless-steel/CK1-CL1-2PK.html?cgid=Homebrew_Supplies-Kegs_Bottling (Next I'll be asking about the ball or pin, line splitter and etc...) Thank you all so much for your help, I hope you don't mind me asking more questions!!

That is the right stuff, however they are charging you twice the going rate for reconditioned kegs (they are charging new keg prices). I would recommend you buy your kegs from cornykeg.com or another HBT sponsor site. I did a quick search and two ball lock (most popular and are taller and thinner than the pin lock lock style) run about $90, buying more is not a bad idea.

The keg fittings you can also buy online about $25-30 total (2 sets of ball lock - beer & gas).

Your almost there, ask as many questions as you need, this is a big purchase.

Check Craigslist! I picked up both of my kegerators off there. First one was a package deal with 8 cornys, carborys, ferm buckets, wort chiller, etc for $400! next one was $100 for the kegerator with tank/reg.
Also, keep an eye on homebrewfinds.com. Walmart had a kegerator for cheap the other day they posted, and vendors often have deals on corny kegs.

So, are you basically saying that the Ball Lock kegs are a better choice?

Each have their fans. Either type can serve your kegging needs. Most of my brew buds happen to have ball locks, so I went that direction. Pin locks are cheaper and it's easier to find a "deal" on some, but if you have to upgrade the lid for a PRV (a very useful feature), you can end up spending about the same $$.

Ball locks are taller with a smaller diameter. I fit 3 ball locks in my keezer quite easily. It would be iffy to try and squeeze in the same number of pin locks.

For practical purposes, chose one and stick with that type of system (although pins converted to ball fittings are out there).

As others have mentioned, the perlick 525SS faucet is a fine choice.. but it will flow faster than your standard faucet... so if you're going with it, I would suggest you get about 8-10' of beer line too (Assuming your kegerator only comes with 4-5' of line as mine did). This will slow the flow of your pours and make your system easier to balance once your kegged beer is carbonated, resulting in more consistent pours and less foam.

looks expensive, you can get more taps and kegs for your money (3-4) with a cheap craigslist fridge and buying the draft system from someone like kegconnection.com

Back