It's BREW DAY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmullins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing an Extract Pale Ale right now. Just pulled out my bag of grains from steeping and getting my water back up to a boil.

Wanted to brew yesterday for 777 but just didn't get around to picking up stuff. Got the yankee game on TV, the pot on the stove, and my homebrew brown ale, so life is good

Sounds great! I was planning on brewing too, but instead I'm demo'ing my basement.....fun.

I just put water on for my mash for my Regenschauer Kölsch. Brewing with rain water. Should be interesting.

Ed, are you for real? I guess if you boil it, what's the difference?

Heh...I brewed on 777 and didn't even think about it! The recipe is our new American Philological Association American Pale Ale (APA.APA). It smells great and is bubbling away, so maybe we got lucky.

EdWort said:
I just put water on for my mash for my Regenschauer Kölsch. Brewing with rain water. Should be interesting.

Have you posted that recipe lately?
I am looking to tweak my recipe and was wondering what others do.

you know, it just hit me that I'm jealous. I'm dog sitting for a friend, surfing the web on a ****ty mac, watching red vs. blue videos, and downloading drum and bass. Good news is I have some DFH 90 min IIPA, but I'd rather be home brewing.......damnit

Well I just transferred from brewpot to fermenter and tried adding it straight to ice to get the temp down quicker (as I saw in Koch's Longshot video) but my temp plummetted to 40. I haven't pitched or taken a gravity reading yet but what should I do

Beerrific said:
Have you posted that recipe lately?
I am looking to tweak my recipe and was wondering what others do.

I'll end up posting it later today. It falls outside BJCP guidelines as my recipe ends up with more alcohol, more bitterness, and drier than a real Kolsch.

It actually tastes like a German pilsener. Very crisp, clean, and quaffable.

rmullins said:
Well I just transferred from brewpot to fermenter and tried adding it straight to ice to get the temp down quicker (as I saw in Koch's Longshot video) but my temp plummetted to 40. I haven't pitched or taken a gravity reading yet but what should I do

anybody? help?

So you poured near boil wort onto ice and it is now at 40F?

WOW that is really low...are sure that is just not at the top? Can you give it a stir?

Are you at 5 gallons?

I went straight from my 60 minute boil onto the ice and its at 48 right now (according to the LCD), 44 from a floating thermometer. Been stirring.

The ice even took a while to melt, and the fermenter is pretty cool. I feel like i just made iced tea.

I am at 5 gallons now

rmullins said:
I went straight from my 60 minute boil onto the ice and its at 48 right now (according to the LCD), 44 from a floating thermometer. Been stirring.

The ice even took a while to melt, and the fermenter is pretty cool. I feel like i just made iced tea.

I am at 5 gallons now

Only thing I can think to do is cover it and wait...maybe put it in the tub with warm water.

What yeast are you using? Starter?

I'd say let it go and go rehydrate the yeast....by the time that is all done you will be closer to pitching temps.

Cover it, seal it and take it somewhere warm...maybe outside.

98EXL said:
Ed, are you for real? I guess if you boil it, what's the difference?

I have a neighbor whose sole source for water is rain. He has a metal roof that collects it in a 8,500 above ground tank via gravity. It then is pumped through several filters to the house where it goes through an active charcoal filter. Tasted pretty good to me. I thought it would be neat, so we'll see how it turns out in about 8 weeks from now. I don't touch a beer not till it's at least 8 weeks old.

yankees are a disgrace to baseball. 228 mil and 500 record...
goto the real team in NY...than things would be better.

n4500115_30517801_9324.jpg

n4500115_30517802_674.jpg

n4500115_30517805_4481.jpg

n4500115_30517806_5751.jpg

Looks like everything should turn out fine. Its up to 67

98EXL said:
you know, it just hit me that I'm jealous. I'm dog sitting for a friend, surfing the web on a ****ty mac, watching red vs. blue videos, and downloading drum and bass. Good news is I have some DFH 90 min IIPA, but I'd rather be home brewing.......damnit

Red Vs. Blue is the ****! Aren't they almost over with them yet though? It's been awhile since I watched. I might have to go catch up on the 6 months that I've missed.

BlindLemonLars said:
I suppose having 70 or so gallons in the keezer makes waiting 8 weeks for the latest batch a bit easier, eh? :D

Ahhh, now you've seen the pipeline....:rockin: After today's batch, there's only room for one more keg and that'll be Apfelwein next week. I'm done brewing for the summer unless I get the itch.

It's a good plan with a generator backup in case of power failure.

Must...Not...Let....Beer...Get...Hot...Spock :D

bobbydigital said:
yankees are a disgrace to baseball. 228 mil and 500 record...
goto the real team in NY...than things would be better.

I was just looking back on my old thread since today I had almost an opposite problem with getting the temperature where I needed it and just had to laugh quite a bit at this post

Back